sizing of print version not honored

This Forum is for General Issues about Capture
mattf
Sr. Propeller Head

sizing of print version not honored

Post by mattf »

I'm still using Capture 3.0. I haven't used it to make annotated images with Flare 8 until today and there seems to be something amiss. Usually I go to the Print Format tab in the Properties, enable Print Format, then specify 300 dpi and a size like 5 inches or so. I've done the same thing for years. Today, the print output is showing the screenshot way too large and bleeding off the page, no matter what I do to the size parameters. Is this a known bug in Capture?
Thanks,
Matt
Matt F
You learn something new every day if you're not careful.
mattf
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: sizing of print version not honored

Post by mattf »

I have not heard back from MadCap support about this, but here's more information:
The problem occurs when I resize a single source image in the Flare editor. By that I mean I grab the corner grapples and resize the image so that it's smaller in the Webhelp. When I do this, it's as if Flare says, "well, if you're going to fiddle with sizing after you've already set both the webhelp and print sizes in Capture, then all bets are off and we're going to ignore your print size settings". I found that if I size the image in Capture, then insert it into the project and then leave it alone, this problem did not occur.
Matt F
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

mattf wrote:The problem occurs when I resize a single source image in the Flare editor. By that I mean I grab the corner grapples and resize the image so that it's smaller in the Webhelp.
When you resize with the "corner grapples," you are applying local formatting to the image, so I believe that would take precedence over anything else controlling image size. And I'm pretty sure that local formatting will apply to any target in which the topic containing that image is included. not just WebHelp. It's the same thing as with applying local formatting to text. Say you have H1 set to Arial 24pt bold in the stylesheet, but you apply local formatting to one particular heading tagged as H1 so that it's Georgia 32pt italic. That local formatting will override the stylesheet.

Sorry that I can't address your original question regarding Capture, as I don't use Capture to control print vs. online image sizes.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
mattf
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by mattf »

Thanks Nita,
When you put it that way, it all makes sense. I guess. I mean, it seems unintuitive that the overwriting would make the print version of the image larger, but I do see the principle you're pointing out. Thank you.
-mdf
Matt F