how do I crop out what I *don't* want

This Forum is for General Issues about Capture
Lance_Moore
Propeller Head

how do I crop out what I *don't* want

Post by Lance_Moore »

I would like to draw a square around the part of an image I don't want, and delete it (as opposed to using the crop tool, where you get only the square only). Perhaps you'd call it inverse cropping. Seems like this should be really easy to do, but I sure don't see how. Help, and thanks.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: how do I crop out what I *don't* want

Post by RamonS »

Not sure how to do it, but what do you expect to show up in the doughnut hole that you want to put into the image? Background color? Transparency?
Lance_Moore
Propeller Head

Post by Lance_Moore »

Nothing. Or white space/fill.

For concept; imagine a capture that consists of layered screen shots, and part of the main application as the backdrop behind it all. I want to clip out the random section of application backdrop.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

I use a square (without borders or borders the same colour as the fill) and place it over the areas I wish to remove. The square should be the background colour. Complex shapes can require a lot of the squares. Once finished (if the graphics program I am using supports it) I flatten the image. Then I convert the background to transaprent.
85QuickLayout.png
This one was done using snagit, we prefer the torn edge effect. Is this the sort of thing you are trying?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.