Capture doesn't 'remember' all bubble properties

This Forum is for General Issues about Capture
sdcinvan
Propellus Maximus

Capture doesn't 'remember' all bubble properties

Post by sdcinvan »

I have begrudgingly began to use MadCap Capture because my image grab/edit in Adobe InDesign/Save InD source, export to a .png (for Flare) is essentially a horrible and inefficient workflow. Urrghh! I guess I am willing to compromise a bit of design for getting my project done on time, rather than get fired! :shock:

So... I am on day one with using MadCap Capture and these are some of my immediate observations:

- It is not possible to build and save custom 'named' styles for items like bubbles. The only option is to save the current property settings as a default... except it ignores (see next bullet)...

- It is not possible to save a custom bubble pointer base property....yet every other property can be saved as a default configuration.

- That common folder / sync images idea just became a little more complicated!
Why? Because when you sync images, Flare makes a copy of the image in the project folder. Any changes to the source are synced via Project / Synchronize files.
BUT if you click on a synced image and select Edit With MadCap Capture, the copied image is modified. If the source image is ever later updated, you will have a synchronization conflict
or just as bad, the the updated image will over write the Capture annotated version. To correct this will require additional steps, synchronize images then open Capture and update the synchronized image.
If only Flare would leave the images in a common folder, link to them dynamically (NOT static URLs!) and all MadCap Capture edits took place in the same folder as the source image.

I might be wrong. Any thoughts?
Shawn in Vancouver, Canada
Main tools used: Flare 11.x, InDesign, Google Docs, Lectora, Captivate.
Report bugs: https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback/bugs.aspx ▪ Feature requests: https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx[/i]
atomdocs
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Capture doesn't 'remember' all bubble properties

Post by atomdocs »

Hi Shawn. Just a quick reply to your saving custom bubbles problem: after you have configured a bubble (or any object) in the work area, select the Palettes side panel (check that your MyPalette palette is visible or select it from the drop-down at the top of the panel), then drag your custom bubble to the palette. It is saved as a template for future use. You can save multiple objects to your palette. You can't assign a name to an individual object in a palette, you just get a visual reference. But you can create new palettes (e.g. for specific projects) from the usual File > New function. To use a custom object from a palette, just drag it to the work area. I hope this helps.

I don't have a project that syncs images at the moment, so I can't help with that, but I'll take a look. For a very rough initial guess, I wonder if the Recapture function would help (instead of syncing)? I expect it depends on what changes to the source image you are syncing.
Tom
Flare 2022, Capture 7
sdcinvan
Propellus Maximus

Re: Capture doesn't 'remember' all bubble properties

Post by sdcinvan »

atomdocs wrote:Hi Shawn. Just a quick reply to your saving custom bubbles problem: after you have configured a bubble (or any object) in the work area, select the Palettes side panel (check that your MyPalette palette is visible or select it from the drop-down at the top of the panel), then drag your custom bubble to the palette. It is saved as a template for future use. You can save multiple objects to your palette. You can't assign a name to an individual object in a palette, you just get a visual reference. But you can create new palettes (e.g. for specific projects) from the usual File > New function. To use a custom object from a palette, just drag it to the work area. I hope this helps.

I don't have a project that syncs images at the moment, so I can't help with that, but I'll take a look. For a very rough initial guess, I wonder if the Recapture function would help (instead of syncing)? I expect it depends on what changes to the source image you are syncing.
Awesome, that worked (and solves a few other mysteries for me). Thank you. :D
Shawn in Vancouver, Canada
Main tools used: Flare 11.x, InDesign, Google Docs, Lectora, Captivate.
Report bugs: https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback/bugs.aspx ▪ Feature requests: https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx[/i]