Image Distortion in PDF

This Forum is for General Issues about Capture
GarrettDRussell
Propeller Head

Image Distortion in PDF

Post by GarrettDRussell »

Hello all,

It is very hard for me to describe exactly what is happening with the image that I have edited (made call-outs for) in Capture. They look perfectly fine in Flare after I add my call-outs in Capture. It is not until I generate a PDF of my document that the image gets all messed up. It is very bizarre what it is doing to the image.

For reference, the following images contain 2 JPEGs combined into one in Capture using the "Add Image" option.

My image in Flare:
Interlock Flare.JPG
My image in the PDF output:
Interlock PDF.JPG
Does anyone have any idea what may be happening here and how I can go about fixing it?

Thank you,
Garrett Russell
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Re: Image Distortion in PDF

Post by Richard Ferrell »

What Format are the images in before you bring them into capture?
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
GarrettDRussell
Propeller Head

Post by GarrettDRussell »

They are JPEGs that we rendered from a Pro-Engineering model.

I am assuming it is some type of tranparency issue, but I wouldn't know how to go about fix that.

Thanks,
Garrett
atomdocs
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by atomdocs »

Hi Garrett

I don't have engineering eyes - where is the distortion? Do you mean the borders showing up in the PDF version?
Tom
Flare 2022, Capture 7
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

GarrettDRussell wrote:They are JPEGs that we rendered from a Pro-Engineering model.

I am assuming it is some type of tranparency issue, but I wouldn't know how to go about fix that.

Thanks,
Garrett
I don't think jpegs support transparency...

They are, however, a lossy format. Each time they are saved they are compressed, losing fine detail. Not only that, but there are different levels of compression. Most programs allow the user to set the compression, balancing retained detail against file size.

Where possible, I like to use bitmaps (.bmp) and save as a jpg or png at the end of the process. If I make changes, I make them to the bitmap and resave the final image. This works well in applications that support layers (although you will have to save in the apps proprietary format). I must 'fess up, when I use my digital camera I shoot in RAW, so I am a bit anal about this sort of thing).

Enough rambling, what happens if you save in a different format, or if you increase the detail (and file size) when you export from the rendering application?
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.