Capturing a open drop down menu

This Forum is for General Issues about Capture
phebert
Propeller Head

Capturing a open drop down menu

Post by phebert »

Hello,

Is there any way to use Capture to get a screenshot of an open drop down menu? There's a new field on the application I document with a drop down menu with a variety of options for the user to select and I'd like to display the field with the menu open. Every attempt I've made with Capture closes the menu. Is there a way to do this? I don't relish the thought of typing every menu option available on drop down menus. Any information is greatly appreciated!
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Capturing a open drop down menu

Post by RamonS »

Once in a while I run into this and here is my trick: use any tool desired to capture (full) screen video. I use SnagIt, but there are other tools, several even free to use. Capture the screen video and save it, then play the video and stop it at the point where the menu is expanded and in the desired appearance. Then use Capture to capture the section with the menu. In the end there is no way telling that the capture is not from the original as long as you replay the screen video 1:1 (no resizing).
phebert
Propeller Head

Post by phebert »

Thanks! I'll give that a try.

Is there a process of making a request with Madcap for enhancements? It seems this would be a useful function. I know the application I document has a ton of drop down menus. I was capturing them with Snip-it but with a change to my PC, that functionality seems to have disappeared. Plus, I'd really prefer to grab all my images with one tool.
atomdocs
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by atomdocs »

Capture can do it, but it is kind of accidental. Here is the hack:

1. Make sure that the Magnifier is enabled on the Capture tab of the Options.

2. Enable Time Delay on the File ribbon.

3. Start the application that you want to capture and click the menu to open it.

4. With the menu open, hit the hot key combo for a standard capture. (Mine is CTRL+SHIFT+R, but I can't remember if that is default. You can get the hot key by hovering over New Screen Capture in the flyout of the File menu option of the same name.)

5. The Capture crosshair appears, and your menu should still be visible, so you can position e.g. the top-left corner of your menu.

6. Click and drag to start creating the capture region. As soon as you click, the menu disappears, but here's the trick: it is still visible in the magnifier. Keep moving your mouse and use the magnifier to position the opposite corner, e.g. bottom-right corner of the menu.

7. Release the mouse button and then click the red Capture button in the Capture toolbar that appears below your capture region.

8. Now, while the time delay is counting down, click your menu again to make it visible for when the capture triggers.

It works for me, see if it works for you. But I agree, a proper feature would be nice!
Tom
Flare 2022, Capture 7
phebert
Propeller Head

Post by phebert »

Wow! Hats off to you for figuring out this process! I'll give it a try and post back if I have any difficulty.

Thank you!
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

Like RamonS I, too, grab the entire window if I can't capture a menu.

I suspect it is a .Net framework thing, it happens with snag-it as well.

To lodge an enhancement request use the URL https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback/bugs.aspx
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

I haven't had a problem working with SnagIt to capture dropdown lists.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
phebert
Propeller Head

Post by phebert »

Thanks for all the suggestions. Although it sounds like a great tool, I don't have SnagIt available to me. I followed Atomdocs steps and it works!
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

SnagIt was just an example, you can also use CamStudio, see http://camstudio.org
atomdocs
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by atomdocs »

Good to hear that it worked, phebert. Using Capture sometimes requires lateral thinking :)
Tom
Flare 2022, Capture 7