crop doesn't auto-scroll?

This Forum is for General Issues about Capture
lise
Propeller Head

crop doesn't auto-scroll?

Post by lise »

Hello. New to Capture - evaluating to see if it meets my needs.

I've encountered an issue with crop and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

When a screen capture is larger than what the capture editor can display (which is often considering the screen space taken up by the Editor toolbars and other UI elements), and Crop is selected, I can only crop the part of the image that the editor is showing me. If I move the mouse to the bottom of the Editor the bottom of the image doesn't scroll up automatically. This means that when scrollbars are activated in the editor to make room for the entire image, you can only ever crop that part of the image that is on display without using the scrollbars.

What am I doing wrong?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
atomdocs
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: crop doesn't auto-scroll?

Post by atomdocs »

Hi lise. Yes, I think you have found a bug. I don't know if it is on MadCap's known bugs list, so a bug report is the way to go: https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback/bugs.aspx

As a workaround, you can zoom out before doing your crop (see the zoom tools on the lower toolbar, or CTRL+minus), but I appreciate that might make an accurate crop more difficult.
Tom
Flare 2022, Capture 7
lise
Propeller Head

Post by lise »

atomdocs wrote:Hi lise. Yes, I think you have found a bug. I don't know if it is on MadCap's known bugs list, so a bug report is the way to go: https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback/bugs.aspx

As a workaround, you can zoom out before doing your crop (see the zoom tools on the lower toolbar, or CTRL+minus), but I appreciate that might make an accurate crop more difficult.
atomdocs, thank you for the reply. I have submitted a bug report.

About your workaround, I thought of another one that might be simpler but it would require the crop function to use anchor points. I could create my crop square, use the scrollbars to display more of my image and just expand my crop square using the anchor points. Is there a way to enable a crop box with anchor points? I'm not seeing that option anywhere.
atomdocs
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by atomdocs »

Unfortunately, cropping in Capture is a one-shot thing; there is no option for a crop box with anchor points, or the ability to edit a crop region before committing. So, that's a feature request: https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx :)

As much as I like Capture, it lacks precision adjustment/placement tools.
Tom
Flare 2022, Capture 7
lise
Propeller Head

Post by lise »

atomdocs wrote:Unfortunately, cropping in Capture is a one-shot thing; there is no option for a crop box with anchor points, or the ability to edit a crop region before committing. So, that's a feature request: https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx :)
Haha. I just submitted. Good thing I still have Snag-it.
atomdocs
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by atomdocs »

Yep, Snagit scrolls with the crop tool. It does a lot of things well. But hey, Snagit can't "uncrop" a cropped image like Capture can 8)
Tom
Flare 2022, Capture 7
lise
Propeller Head

Post by lise »

atomdocs wrote:Yep, Snagit scrolls with the crop tool. It does a lot of things well. But hey, Snagit can't "uncrop" a cropped image like Capture can 8)
I had to check out what you meant because Ctrl Z works fine to 'uncrop'.
I see what you mean now in Capture, but that raises a question: how can you crop the crop?
It sounds stupid but I do that all the time in Snagit. I crop for the general area, and then I crop again to fine-tune.
In Capture if I hit the crop button again it "uncrops" the entire thing.

See how quickly I can turn a "feature" into an irritant! :wink:
atomdocs
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by atomdocs »

Ah, good counterpoint! Capture's uncrop works even after the undo queue has been cleared, so you can crop a capture, save it, close it, go away, come back years later, open it again... and uncrop (because the whole image is still "stored" in the props file). But you're right, you can't crop a cropped image. If that is your workflow, then fair enough. Capture wants you to do things slightly differently, but once you uncover the benefits of the powerful Flare<>Capture integration, it's not so bad.
Tom
Flare 2022, Capture 7