Different Props Files for Same Background

This Forum is for General Issues about Capture
Dmuir
Propeller Head

Different Props Files for Same Background

Post by Dmuir »

I have a question that seems the same as the one addressed by Jennifer the translation expert in another thread: How do I keep the same background image and apply different props?

However, I am talking about WITHIN a single all-English project. Reason: I would like to be able to have one background image and apply a series of callouts to that same image. The end result will be that multiple graphic files are produced, but I was hoping that, on the source side, I could avoid duplicating an image when I really don't need to. The savings in our source control repository could be significant over time.
David Muir | Technical Writer | Microdea Inc. | Markham ON | Canada
Paulie
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Different Props Files for Same Background

Post by Paulie »

Hi there,

Do you mean that the background should be the same, but the callouts will be different? If this difference is across Flare targets, you could condition the callouts. Alternatively, you could use variables for the callout text.
"In an ideal world, software should be simple, well designed, and completely intuitive to end users. In the real world, good documentation is king."
Dmuir
Propeller Head

Post by Dmuir »

I'm pretty sure the conditions and the variables are set "per build".

So, yes: background same, callouts different. But I am talking about images across a series of screen captures in the same target, possibly even the same topic. Essentially I am curious about leveraging Capture's separation of the background and the props files.

What made me start wondering about this is that when you import a Capture image into Flare, it prompts you about copying both files. There is also a checkbox for keeping the files synchronized. I wondered if there was a way to purposely desynchronize the files and use a different props file in conjunction with the same image.
Last edited by Dmuir on Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Muir | Technical Writer | Microdea Inc. | Markham ON | Canada
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

One way of working around this is to start with a master image in png or similar format. I'd avoid jpg as each time you save the image it degrades.

Open the master image in Capture and save it as a different file for each use. That should create a new png and props file. I know you are worried about storage, but it is the props file that takes up the space, not the output image. I'd suspect the props file converts the image to bmp format for its 'magic'.

Another, more elegant, solution would be to apply condition tags to the objects you add in Capture (callouts etc) and use conditions to control which image goes where. Of course, this will only work if the different images are project based, if each version is used in the same project conditions might be difficult to implement. Although you've stated you are using the 2 versions in the same project, I've included this information for others who come across the thread and it might work for them.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.