Image scales, background doesn't

This Forum is for General Issues about Capture
jjw
Sr. Propeller Head

Image scales, background doesn't

Post by jjw »

I have been resizing png images in Capture by using the image scaling settings in the File Properties and setting a fixed width in pixels.

Sometimes this works fine, but other times when I do this, the image scales, but the background doesn't - so when I view the image in Flare or in Word, it is surrounded by large amounts of white space. I can occasionally fix this by just removing and reapplying the scaling, but this isn't reliable.

Is there some obvious setting that I am missing?

J
ajturnersurrey
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Image scales, background doesn't

Post by ajturnersurrey »

One guess:

If you look under Image Properties > Appearance you will find a set of Canvas size settings - You probably want to have minimum width and minimum height set to 0 px and a tick against "canvas auto-adjust to include objects", otherwise you might scale things such that you hit your lower canvas size limits and the image shrinks to cover a smaller fraction of the canvas.
jjw
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Image scales, background doesn't

Post by jjw »

Hi, thanks for the response - I don't think that can be it though because I usually do have those Appearance tab settings as you describe. I've tried fiddling with them in the past to see if it helped, but it didn't seem to make a difference to this issue.

Oddly, I can sometimes fix the problem by making some tiny neutral change to the props file (like changing the way an empty tag closes). The problem is liable to come back again though if I open the image in Capture.

I've submitted a support request, so I'll see if Madcap can figure out what's going on.

J