Inc/Exclude Capture's conditions per-topic like snippets?

This Forum is for General Issues about Capture
Sofie Bird
Propeller Head

Inc/Exclude Capture's conditions per-topic like snippets?

Post by Sofie Bird »

I am currently doing a screenshot overhaul of a large project. There are a lot of images where the screencapped image is identical, the only difference is an object (a highlighting rectangle) is in a different position.

I am facing the prospect of having to re-create all of these individually, which is days of work. I have searched for whether I can set up something in Capture similar to Flare's snippet conditions: create one image with all of the objects, each object with a condition, and then select conditions to include / exclude per-topic. (I'll still have to recreate them all, but at least future overhauls will be much faster).

So far the online help and my own experiments have not yielded results. Does anyone know if it's possible?
atomdocs
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Inc/Exclude Capture's conditions per-topic like snippets

Post by atomdocs »

Hi Sofie

I don't think it is possible to use conditions in that way in Capture. The approach I would take is to use profiles. You can set up a profile to contain just the shapes that you need. You can then apply that profile to an image in Capture (using the option to replace existing shapes). The old shapes would be removed, and the new shapes that are stored in the profile would be applied. To get the shapes to appear in the correct (new) positions, set up an existing image first with the shapes in the right position, then CTRL select all the shapes that you want to use in the profile, copy, and then paste into a new blank profile and save it.

From this premise, I think you have a couple of options:

1. Create one profile with all shapes that you need - apply this profile to every image (so all images have all shapes applied) and then just delete the shapes that you don't need in each image.

2. You could set up a profile for each shape location or set of locations that you need (so that the profile only has the shapes needed in the correct location), and blast through the relevant images for that profile before moving on the next location profile.

If you have lot of different new shape locations that you need to set, there is probably a point at which the trade-off between these two options switches over, but I don't know what that would be.

You could set this up and verify the process on a few images, and then you could set this up as a batch job in Capture - one job for each profile you are using. As always, do a full backup of your project before jumping into a batch process. It is probably still a lot of work, but probably less than doing each image manually. (And in case it helps, I hope this reply isn't too late.)
Tom
Flare 2022, Capture 7