Text Box and Opacity: Bug?

This Forum is for General Issues about Capture
atomdocs
Sr. Propeller Head

Text Box and Opacity: Bug?

Post by atomdocs »

If this is a bug, I will submit it. I don't think it has been discussed here yet, so in the meantime, I have found a workaround and I thought I'd share it here...

For "on-image" captions that I apply in Capture, I sometimes use a text box with a white background (to stop the text disappearing into the image) and an opacity setting on the text box object to soften it a bit.

However, I find that the opacity setting affects the text as well as the background: black text appears grey/faded. This is not really what I would expect (or is it?), but that's Capture... Today I formatted a text box this way and noticed that the text was still 100% black. The difference was, I'd formatted one word as italic...

And that is the workaround: if you want to use opacity on the background of a text box and not affect the text itself, select one of the spaces in the text (or add a space at the end) and format it as italic with the "i" button in the rich text editor.

PS: This also seems to fix/create - I'm not sure which - a bug with horizontal alignment of the text in the box, but that is easily resolved with the toolbar buttons.
Tom
Flare 2022, Capture 7
atomdocs
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Text Box and Opacity: Bug?

Post by atomdocs »

I submitted a bug report, and wanted to add two things here:

> When I say "opacity" in the original post, I should have said "transparency".

> Here is what it looks like in Capture:
2016-08-20_20-01-23.png
I assume that the text going transparent is the bug situation, and that the text should always be full opacity while only the background of the text box is transparent, as in the lower text box.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tom
Flare 2022, Capture 7
atomdocs
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Text Box and Opacity: Bug?

Post by atomdocs »

Update: MadCap have accepted this as a bug: #121484. They said that the intended behavior is that the text should always take the same transparency setting as the background, so as per the top text box in the image above. However, they recognize that users might prefer to be able to separate the transparency of the text from the background transparency setting (as I do), so the support team has also submitted a feature request to the Capture product team to allow the transparency of those items to be set independently. A fast and considerate response from the MadCap support team - thanks guys! :)
Tom
Flare 2022, Capture 7