Annotation Font Styles

This Forum is for General Issues about Capture
Carsten Pedersen
Propeller Head

Annotation Font Styles

Post by Carsten Pedersen »

How do I tell Capture to use a text style that I defined in Flare for annotations?

The main reason for me to look at Capture is to ensure that the annotation text on images matches the font style used in my text.

-cpede
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Annotation Font Styles

Post by Nita Beck »

I'm a little confused. Sorry; not enough coffee yet this morning.

By "text styles ... for annotations in Flare," what do you mean? I have a feeling that you're not talking about Flare's Annotation feature, right? (I could be wrong, but I didn't realize that one could define the styling of Flare annotations.)

But if you mean something different by "annotations in Flare," then I'll take a crack at this.

To the best of my knowledge, there isn't a way in Capture to define a style for an object, the way one can defines styles in Flare's using a style sheet. (EDIT: Oh, I see that one *can* set the "default look" for a given type of object: http://webhelp.madcapsoftware.com/captu ... apture.htm and "apply styles": http://webhelp.madcapsoftware.com/captu ... apture.htm. Guess your question has led to my "learn something new every day" moment today!)

(EDIT: What I originally started to say is...") But, one can save an object to a Capture palette to use it as a starting place for other objects of the same type.

So say you want to have a bubble that uses the Google font "Open Sans", 10pt, bold, red, and that has a slight green background and a 4px-wide, dotted purple border. (I know, gaudy, right?) Once you have that object set just the way you want it, then put it on a palette, thereby making it available for reuse. Then all you'd have to do is change the text.

For more on palettes, see http://webhelp.madcapsoftware.com/captu ... ht=Palette

I hope I haven't misunderstood your question and that the links I've included to Capture Help content do yield useful info. If I have misunderstood, please explain more and I'll take another crack.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Carsten Pedersen
Propeller Head

Post by Carsten Pedersen »

Thanks for the try, I hope you got your coffee :-)

Imagine that you want to have an image in Flare which need some text information included.
I good old Word you would make some arrows and write some text boxes on top of the image.
The result would be an image with some "embedded" test annotations.
This feature is often used in e.g. manuals describing different parts of an image.

OK, in Capture (which should be the right tool for integrating images into Flare) you can make
annotations (a.k.a. lines with text bubbles describing parts of the image).

I kind of expected that it was possible for Capture to locate the css styles from the Flare project
(like it does for variables?), and thereby set the style for the text.

This would mean that when/if I change the style in Flare and rebuild my project, the text
annotations on the images would change accordingly, ensuring a consistent look in my manual
builds and in my HTML builds.

-cpede
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

The coffee consumption has commenced (and the body's now awake after a turn on the treadmill)!

OK, got it. (And I've used those kind of Word callouts that you describe for years, dare I say, for decades even!)

As far as I know, there is no way via the Capture UI to use a Fkare stylesheet.

Anyone else got an idea for our friend?
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!