Annotation font size became too large to fit in bubble

This Forum is for General Issues about Capture
fchan
Propeller Head

Annotation font size became too large to fit in bubble

Post by fchan »

This seems to be a serious Capture problem. I have a lot of image files with annotations contained in bubbles. The font is Open Sans 11 point. All along this has been fine until recently. Capture silently made the font size too large to be contained in the bubble, even though the font size specification remains the same. I.e., the text is truncated in the bubble. In MyPalette, the default bubble also has this problem. The text "My bubble" no longer fits in the default bubble. I re-installed Capture and the problem remained. MadCap tech support can't tell what happened. I can't think of a way to work around this. I can enlarge every single bubble in my entire project to accommodate the text in each annotation is visibly larger than before. (This problem only happens when the image file is opened in Capture or re-generated by Capture. If I use the "Open link" file in MadCap flare to open it, or if I view the file in Windows or Mac OS, the annotation is fine.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Annotation font size became too large to fit in bubble

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

I don't use Capture, but I know some people have had problems if their display isn't sized to 100%. Have you changed your display size recently?
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
fchan
Propeller Head

Post by fchan »

Yes, I did change my screen resolution in Windows a couple of times and don't remember which change preceded this Capture problem. I mentioned this to MadCap but tech support said it shouldn't have an effect on Capture. The Windows setting normally shouldn't affect how things are being processed within an application, one would think. This would have been a serious bug. Note that the image file is OK when being viewed by other applications or when I open the image in Flare through "Open Link". But as soon as it is generated by Capture, then the problem happens.
fchan
Propeller Head

Post by fchan »

I just found the root cause of this problem:
This is due to the fact that I changed the text size to 125% in Windows. In the Control Panel, you can make on-screen text and object larger for readability. This problem went away after I changed back the size back to 100%.

This is a nasty Capture bug, I believe. Whatever a user changes in Windows re: resolution, text size, etc., should not affect how an application processes a file. I hope MadCap will address this soon.

In the meantime, if you use Capture, always make sure that in the Control Panel your screen text size is set to 100%. Don't set to anything else!
pacdam
Propeller Head

Post by pacdam »

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but all of my team of four are having this same problem and it is driving us mad. Due to working with laptops with external monitors, it's necessary to use the Windows zoom functionality (some of us set it to 125%, and others to 150%). When someone that is using 150% creates callouts, and they look fine on their computer, if they are then opened by someone using 125%, they are now the wrong size (and vice versa).

No other software on our computers has any issue at all with the Windows zoom functionality, so it seems a poor excuse for MadCap to blame Windows for this. Does anyone know of any way to deal with this other than changing the zoom level to 100% and rebooting the whole machine each time we need to use MadCap Capture?