Auto-size to fit text truncates words

This Forum is for General Issues about Capture
IFU
Propeller Head

Auto-size to fit text truncates words

Post by IFU »

I would like to check the "Auto-size to fit text" option so that I won't have to manually resize hundreds of bubble rectangles when the Capture images are translated. However, this option is not working as expected. For example, it truncates words. See example below. Are there any workarounds? Thanks. Isabelle
autoSizeTruncatesWord.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
atomdocs
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Auto-size to fit text truncates words

Post by atomdocs »

I think this is probably a bug, so your best option might be to submit it to MadCap Support.

I found that this happens with single-word captions. A workaround might be to ensure all your captions are multiple words... not a great workaround, I admit, and no guarantee that a short caption won't shrink to a single word in translation.

I tried a hack by creating a single-word callout, adding a space, then adding a dummy character. I set the dummy character font colour to the same colour as the background. That hid the dummy character and when turning "autosize" on, the single word was not truncated (good), but the callout forced the hidden dummy character to the next line, which made the callout double the height (bad).
Tom
Flare 2022, Capture 7
IFU
Propeller Head

Post by IFU »

Thanks Tom - You are right. MadCap confirmed it is a bug... They suggested adding spaces at the end as a workaround. I could also try your hack. However, my feeling is that if I have to do something like that, the translators will also need to tweak the text so I may as well disable auto-size and adjust the size of the boxes (a simpler manual intervention). Isabelle
atomdocs
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by atomdocs »

Hi Isabelle, let's hope a fix comes for it soon. Unfortunately Capture doesn't seem to get much love, which is a shame. I tried doing just the space thing also, and that didn't seem to work for me (still truncates).

I agree, the complexity of ensuring that a workaround flows through correctly to your translators probably outweighs the benefit of using this option. I do sympathize, some of my projects go to 34 languages and there are a lot of nice tricks that I'd like to do in the source that just break some translations. Respect to translators also, that seems like a tough job to me :D
Tom
Flare 2022, Capture 7