Borders around Objects in Capture Images

This Forum is for General Issues about Capture
DavidJGross
Propeller Head

Borders around Objects in Capture Images

Post by DavidJGross »

I am building a slide deck in flare, based on material in my user manual, and I have taken to placing multiple images from the manual into one larger image as objects using Capture. This has allowed for some pretty nice results, especially considering that you can apply conditions to objects within a picture. Great feature.

Before you tell me I'm doing it wrong and should be doing this in CSS, let me say that I'm aware, and I hope at some point to go back and fix all this stuff, but unfortunately the CSS was proving to be much too time-consuming, as the XML editor in flare doesn't give accurate previews, and I need to get this year's training slides done.

So what I'm asking is this: is there a way to get capture to put borders around objects within the image, so that I can change them later if I want?

I sure can't figure out a way to do it. There are workarounds I could do, like drawing individual boxes around each image, but that's silly. This seems like a really basic ability the program should have, and while capture IS missing a lot of stuff that blows my mind, I can't imagine this is one of them. Surely I'm missing something.

Anyone have any ideas?
EricS
Propeller Head

Re: Borders around Objects in Capture Images

Post by EricS »

Hi David -

If I am reading your question correctly you should be able to do the following:

-with the image open in Capture right click the image and open "File Properties"
-from within the File Properties window, select "Appearance"
-in the appearance pane you should be able to add a border to the image to whatever specs you need

To this automatically, in the "Profile" tab in Capture tool ribbon, click "Image Profile:...". In the window that appears click the ""Create a New Profile" button. Edit the settings (border and otherwise) to your liking and give the profile a name. When you need to add a border to an image - open it in Capture and select "Apply Profile" from the tool ribbon and apply the your profile to the image.

Hope this helps.
Eric S.
DavidJGross
Propeller Head

Post by DavidJGross »

Hi Eric,

Thanks for getting back with me. What I'm trying to do is a little bit more complex. I want to have a border around individual objects within the file and no border around the file itself. I haven't been able to figure out how to do this other than by faking it with a separate rectangle.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Eric has the right idea.

First, open the image that you plan to insert into a second image as an object. Set that image's file properties so that it has a border. Save. Now, in the second image, use Edit > Insert Image to insert the first image. It'll have its border.

I just tested this, and it works.

HTH
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!