scrolling web page

This Forum is for General Issues about Capture
ltnunes
Propeller Head

Re: scrolling web page

Post by ltnunes »

Good news. My enhancement request has been recieved and passed on to dev with a demo of how SnagIt works and the suggestion that Capture should do the same to be competitive. Now, we'll see if that results in better functionality in the next Capture release. Until then...SnagIt is winning my business.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

I am sure the devs have seen it several times and at some point it was decided that this isn't a high priority issue. The complaint is definitely as old as Capture.
ltnunes
Propeller Head

Post by ltnunes »

True... but the "we can't make this work because it's impossible" excuse is shot to heck :)
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Sure it is possible, I just wanted to make sure the expectations don't grow too high. There are plenty of must haves that MadCap just doesn't want to put into their applications as it seems.
ltnunes
Propeller Head

Post by ltnunes »

Agreed! My comment is because I was told that the Capture dev group had said this feature is not possible without disabling Javascript and Flash...which is not acceptable nor necessary when using SnagIt's capture w/autoscroll option.
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

Which could mean that using .net they can't do it without disabling javascript/flash. Capture, like Flare, is built on the .net Framework, so if there is a limitation in the framework, then Capture can't get around it. Snagit is not built on the .NET framework, so if there is a difference in capability, it might be the fault of the framework.

Personally, I wish that we could move away from the framework, making it easier/possible to port the application to other platforms. But I also understand that when you build on the framework, you can take advantage of features native to the framework, as well as plugins that work with the framework. That means you can have more features developed in less time because MadCap's dev team isn't writing the framework features AND the application-specific features.

There is a trade off, and MadCap has decided to go with the MS .NET framework approach.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

And that may just have been a decision to have a current development platform and be able to secure funding. I find that Delphi makes for much better applications across the board in all aspects, but good luck finding Delphi developers and good luck finding VC for something that hasn't Microsoft slapped all over it. Just to note, Delphi also isn't platform independent.
Andrew
Propellus Maximus

Post by Andrew »

doc_guy wrote:Which could mean that using .net they can't do it without disabling javascript/flash. Capture, like Flare, is built on the .net Framework, so if there is a limitation in the framework, then Capture can't get around it. Snagit is not built on the .NET framework, so if there is a difference in capability, it might be the fault of the framework.
Actually, this isn't true. The .Net Framework does not require all code to be managed, nor all code to even be .Net, IIRC. You can use C++ or other non-managed languages with .Net. It's not as easy as pure .Net, of course. If it was a limitation of .Net, and they *wanted* to work around it, they certainly could. Whether they feel it would be worth the effort may be another story.
Flare v6.1 | Capture 4.0.0
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

So in other words, use .NET Framework with C# or any .NET supported language for all the other main Capture features, but for more accurate,faster Capture engine that may need to interact closely with a platform's User Interface API calls, use native C or a C++ library to accomplish the deal.

Make the call from .NET framework and the b3 MadCap XML parsing engine to the native C library, and you have the reliability of a horse.

Problem solved. :D
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

There is even PHP.NET available now. Why would one ruin a perfectly fine server scripting language by putting it on .NET?
Andrew
Propellus Maximus

Post by Andrew »

forfear wrote:So in other words, use .NET Framework with C# or any .NET supported language for all the other main Capture features, but for more accurate,faster Capture engine that may need to interact closely with a platform's User Interface API calls, use native C or a C++ library to accomplish the deal.

Make the call from .NET framework and the b3 MadCap XML parsing engine to the native C library, and you have the reliability of a horse.

Problem solved. :D
Pretty much, yes. Assuming, of course, that .NET is the problem with the scrolling capture.
Flare v6.1 | Capture 4.0.0