Resizing Screenshots

This Forum is for General Issues about Capture
MikeKatz
Sr. Propeller Head

Resizing Screenshots

Post by MikeKatz »

Is there a way to properly resize a screenshot in Capture?
When I try to do so via the properties and adjust the scale, it becomes an unreadable mess in the preview window.
I'm hoping to replace Paint Shop's screen capture, since I can annotate much better and quicker in Capture, but Paint Shop resizes pretty well:
FlareDialogsResize1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: Resizing Screenshots

Post by SteveS »

Are you using Capture I, II, or III? III seems to be the most managable.

I find with scale resizing sticking to 1/10s (ie .5) gives the best results, rather than trying to scale an image to 600 pixels wide. I also find png to be the most versatile file format - gifs tend to get a mottled appearance.

HTH
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
MikeKatz
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by MikeKatz »

SteveS wrote:Are you using Capture I, II, or III? III seems to be the most managable.

I find with scale resizing sticking to 1/10s (ie .5) gives the best results, rather than trying to scale an image to 600 pixels wide. I also find png to be the most versatile file format - gifs tend to get a mottled appearance.

HTH
Here's how .5 comes out - this is Capture 3:
Capture.png
This is just not usable.

At .7, the same as the original one above, it looks like this:
Capture2.png
It seems to be resizing but not keeping the aspect ratio properly. This makes it looked squashed, and it may also account for the difference in clarity.

Here is the original:
FlareDialogsResize1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
DocuWil
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by DocuWil »

Isn't it that when you resize an image, let's say 50% smaller, you have to enlarge the resolution with 100%?
Yes, but that's only for printed output. In the WebHelp output the size will remain the same.
Example of a Word output:
I put 2 images next to each other. The right one is made 50% smaller and the resolution 100% bigger (it is a ratio)
test.png
That looks very good in printed matter, isn't it?
By the way, it would be nice if this ratio would be implemented in the Media Properties (Ctrl+Alt+B) --> Print Size
Meaning: if you set the Width in Maximum Size, the Height will be adjusted (if you set it to Automatic), but not the resolution. That's the reason that the quality reduces. It should be adjusted automatically too.

There will be no difference in the WebHelp. That is due to the resolution.
Conclusion: If you change the size and not change the resolution, which makes you image also change in the WebHelp, the quality reduces. And I think to an unusable image! Nothing can help you with that, unless a very clever algorythm is used.

This means that you have to be careful making a screenshot. If possible, you could change the size of your application's window.
Wil Veenstra

Documentation and Training Centre
Infologic Nederland
(Using Flare 11.1.2, Capture 7.0.0 and Mimic 7.0.0 in Windows 10 64-bit)
DocuWil
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by DocuWil »

I am sorry, the story was based on the Flare application. Nevertheless ......
Wil Veenstra

Documentation and Training Centre
Infologic Nederland
(Using Flare 11.1.2, Capture 7.0.0 and Mimic 7.0.0 in Windows 10 64-bit)
MikeKatz
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by MikeKatz »

DocuWil wrote:Isn't it that when you resize an image, let's say 50% smaller, you have to enlarge the resolution with 100%?
Yes, but that's only for printed output. In the WebHelp output the size will remain the same.
Example of a Word output:
I put 2 images next to each other. The right one is made 50% smaller and the resolution 100% bigger (it is a ratio)
test.png
That looks very good in printed matter, isn't it?
By the way, it would be nice if this ratio would be implemented in the Media Properties (Ctrl+Alt+B) --> Print Size
Meaning: if you set the Width in Maximum Size, the Height will be adjusted (if you set it to Automatic), but not the resolution. That's the reason that the quality reduces. It should be adjusted automatically too.

There will be no difference in the WebHelp. That is due to the resolution.
Conclusion: If you change the size and not change the resolution, which makes you image also change in the WebHelp, the quality reduces. And I think to an unusable image! Nothing can help you with that, unless a very clever algorythm is used.

This means that you have to be careful making a screenshot. If possible, you could change the size of your application's window.
Hi Will
Word is VERY good at resizing, but you can't use resized Word images in other applications, they degrade considerably.
Mike