Capture Active Window Crops Top of Image in Vista

This Forum is for General Issues about Capture
gregoryrwalker
Propeller Head

Capture Active Window Crops Top of Image in Vista

Post by gregoryrwalker »

My Capture v3 seems to crop the top off of windows in Vista. Anybody else run into this problem?

--gw
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Capture Active Window Crops Top of Image in Vista

Post by RamonS »

Does it still do that when you choose a different desktop theme, such as Windows Classic? If not, then I am almost certain that Vista sends over the wrong coordinates for the window.
rob hollinger
Propellus Maximus

Post by rob hollinger »

Capture V3, Vista..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Hollinger
MadCap Software
alaltenburg
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by alaltenburg »

I use windows vista and rarely do I get an image with the top cropped just a bit. Usually if delete the just captured image and capture again, then it will capture correctly.

Andrea
The Moon is the first milestone on the road to the stars.

— Arthur C. Clarke
gregoryrwalker
Propeller Head

Post by gregoryrwalker »

Actually, after some testing I've discovered that it's the software I'm authoring content for that is creating the problem. I don't know exactly why, but none of the windows captures correctly in vista for this piece of software, but other programs (i.e. Firefox, Illustrator, etc) all capture fine.

--gw
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

I've found that if you have aero turned on in Vista you get severe cropping of the window edges.

I've also found most screen grabbing utilities have trouble with the pixels that form the image edge, particularly the top and left edges.

I tend to capture a region larger than the window and then crop it in Capture (using Capture's cropping zoom feature). That way I get the edge pixels as well, and if I'm capturing Vista Aero I can get as much pf the shadow as I want to make the screen shot look good.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

I always do screenshots using Windows Classic or whatever comes closest to that. Not so much out of nostalgia, but because I get square windows that have the minimum amount of title and frame. It relays the same information, but makes for a much small and IMHO much cleaner screenshot. I could see using the XP style as it is likely the most commonly used, but the amount of people willingly running Aero is negligible. I think help is there to help, not to confuse with needless eye candy. The Mac folks do a much better job in looking cool, functionally it is about as bad as any other platform.