auto-saving and weird minimize issues with 5.0

This Forum is for General Issues about Capture
ktbCA57
Sr. Propeller Head

auto-saving and weird minimize issues with 5.0

Post by ktbCA57 »

I upgraded to 5.0 about a week or so now... and i am having 2 issues with it...

1) auto-saving - this is the biggest problem thus far.. when i make a screen capture, it is AUTOMATICALLY being named and saved in the designated directory. In previous versions, the images would remain "untitled" and temporary until i actively named and saved them. This is quite annoying as sometimes i will do captures over and over to get them just right... so my folder is getting full of all these annoying useless files.. and no, autosave is not on.. and they are IMMEDIATELY named and saved whenever i do a capture!

2) when i minimize Capture now, it goes to an icon in the tray at the bottom of my screen instead of just appearing like Flare does... it's not a huge deal.. but it's weird.. and i haven't figured out how to close it without having to "restore" it first.. can't just right-click and close like i do other apps...

ANYONE ELSE HAVING EITHER ISSUE? ANYONE KNOW HOW TO FIX/CHANGE THE BEHAVIOR?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Re: auto-saving and weird minimize issues with 5.0

Post by forfear »

ktbCA57 wrote: 2) when i minimize Capture now, it goes to an icon in the tray at the bottom of my screen instead of just appearing like Flare does... it's not a huge deal.. but it's weird.. and i haven't figured out how to close it without having to "restore" it first.. can't just right-click and close like i do other apps...

Its a feature built in. Its nice to have for a screen capture program like MadCap Capture.
75 Capture.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder
ktbCA57
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ktbCA57 »

forfear wrote:Its a feature built in.
1) i thought i mentioned that the auto-save feature is NOT enabled.. this is happening without the auto-save feature being set...

2) i don't think it's nice at all if i don't set it this way.. sometimes i do captures and recaptures and don't want every singled one saved.. now i have to go in and clean out the various folders the save to...

and it's not allowing me to say how i want them named... it's giving them numbered file names..

IT'S A PAIN!
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

was referring to item 2 about the minimizing to taskbar.
forfear wrote:
ktbCA57 wrote: 2) when i minimize Capture now, it goes to an icon in the tray at the bottom of my screen instead of just appearing like Flare does... it's not a huge deal.. but it's weird.. and i haven't figured out how to close it without having to "restore" it first.. can't just right-click and close like i do other apps...

Its a feature built in. Its nice to have for a screen capture program like MadCap Capture.
75 Capture.png
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder
ltnunes
Propeller Head

Post by ltnunes »

I am also having trouble with the minize feature in Capture v5. Instead of minimizing to the system tray, Capture flashes repeatedly on the screen until it crashes with an MS error. I've been on the phone with MC support and the error doesn't point to something specific to Capture. Anyone else having "not minimizing gracefully" issues?
gkidder
Propeller Head

Post by gkidder »

I, too, strongly object to the auto-save feature in Capture 5.0 (I never used 4.0, so I don't know what that did). Does anyone know how to turn this off? However, I have found I can use Rename to save the image, which gets rid of the automatically saved version. If I don't want to save the image at all, though, I'm left with an autosaved image that I then have to delete. Very annoying. I much prefer to capture first, then decide 1) if I want to save it and 2) what I want to name it. Auto-numbering is nice, but I have a lot of old images that I simply want to overwrite using the same name so they don't have to be re-inserted.
Andrew
Propellus Maximus

Post by Andrew »

1) How are you performing the capture? If you are capturing directly from Flare, I believe you always need a name (but I think you have to specify the name...it will default to the next name if it wants to). If you are capturing directly from Capture, it will not save anything automatically (at least not that I can see). The directly from Flare capture issue has worked that way since the beginning of the integration, I believe. I find it annoying as well, but not terribly so (I rarely have to perform multiple captures to get everything right -- my caps are pretty simple). You can submit a feature request to ask for this behavior to change: https://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx

2) As forfear mentioned, the minimize-to-tray feature is optional; turn it off in Tools > Options > General. (For the other users, I'm not having any trouble with the minimize part of minimize to system tray, but it is kind of pokey and yucky coming back from the system tray...have to RMB and select Restore a lot of the time, since a double-click frequently doesn't work).
Flare v6.1 | Capture 4.0.0