Translating callouts on screen captures

This Forum is for General Issues about Capture
AmyColannino
Propeller Head

Translating callouts on screen captures

Post by AmyColannino »

I understand that Capture saves callouts/text as (XML-based) objects that are separate from a screen capture and thus translating the callouts is straightforward. What I am wondering is what advantage this offers if I have to re-take the screen capture in different languages -- is there a way to save the callouts in a blank png file and just replace the image? In other words, how would Capture know what callouts go where on an image that is re-taken in a different language? I am thinking this is not possible but I'm curious if anyone has worked out a good process for translating screen captures that have callouts. One strategy posted on this forum is to use numbers as callouts and then list the numbers with callout text below the screen capture. That strategy seems reasonable, but would I need to place the numbers manually on each screen capture that I re-take? Hope this question makes sense...

Thanks,
Amy
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Re: Translating callouts on screen captures

Post by forfear »

you got it about right Amy.
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder
AmyColannino
Propeller Head

Post by AmyColannino »

I contacted MadCap Support and they told me of one other option:

"That said, if you have originally created an image with Capture, you can choose File->Recapture and replace the image with a new image. The callouts will remain in place. You would then need to Save As to avoid replacing the original images, though."

I tested this workflow with a couple of screen shots and it seems easy enough! In fact, it seems too easy... hopefully I'm not missing something.

Amy
AmyColannino
Propeller Head

Post by AmyColannino »

As a followup for the benefit of folks following this thread, there is one catch -- although the callouts can be easily translated because they are stored in separate XML files, the rectangle or bubble that contains the text for the callout does not resize. So, if the translation results in more characters than the original language, some of the text may extend outside of the rectangle or bubble. Support has submitted the ability to automatically resize the rectangles and bubbles as a feature request.

Thanks,
Amy