Basic Editing

This Forum is for General Issues about Mimic
Curlyshell
Propeller Head

Basic Editing

Post by Curlyshell »

I'm considering using Mimic for video tutorials, but I'm finding it hard to learn how to do the absolute most basic editing. By editing I mean slice out the stuff that doesn't belong (where I say "um, um, um," click the wrong button, or endure a long wait time because WFH VPN).

MadCap is all over how to drag objects around, and transition a callout from one color to another; but first one needs to edit the video, she said between gritted teeth.

In fairness, I was having trouble figuring out how to get VSDC (supposedly the best among the free video editing tools) to do the same, but I know it must be possible; I saw someone demonstrate it realfast in a video. In the MadCap tutorials it doesn't seem to come up. Or am I just spoiled by my free trial of Camtasia, where I had a sample video created and edited in a half-hour without so much as a glance at the manual?

Imagine if TechSmith bought MadCap. Oh what a world that would be!
"I'm a technical writer, not a developer," she said...
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Basic Editing

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

I'm at a similar stage to you, but I think it depends how you record it. If you change the settings to use "Automatic" rather than "Video", Mimic splits things up into chunks, so you can play around with things a bit more easily.

That said, I think I'm going to have to give Camtasia a bit of a whirl to do a comparison between the two, and see which is easier to use. I already use Snagit rather than Capture for my screenshots (because I don't need them to do anything fancy) so it's possible TechSmith will come out tops on screen recording too. I'll just have to give it a try...
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
Curlyshell
Propeller Head

Re: Basic Editing

Post by Curlyshell »

UPDATE: We bought Camtasia and I've created dozens of videos, mostly tutorials under 8 minutes but also some short-short videos demonstrating very quick actions - what you'd expect of an animated GIF a few seconds long, except these are regular MP4s. I embed them using the <Object> tags and they are sourced on Vimeo (see this thread if you need embedded videos to also be private: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=33443).

I couldn't be happier. Camtasia lives up to its reputation.
"I'm a technical writer, not a developer," she said...