Mimic dialogs all display with horizontally truncated text

This Forum is for General Issues about Mimic
fchapman42
Jr. Propeller Head

Mimic dialogs all display with horizontally truncated text

Post by fchapman42 »

As a long-term Captivate user, I'm evaluating Mimic at a new company because movie collections and conditions seem as if they would really helpful to us. However, I'm seeing some really odd problems with Mimic.

Firstly, when I watch the training videos all the bubble captions have a rectangular button displayed over part of the text so that you cannot read it - not a good advert for the application.

Secondly, most of the dialogs that I open have some text truncated horizontally and sometimes have parts that appear to be missing (for example, the Movie Conditions tab has lost the include/exclude options that are described in the Help).

These issues are making it hard to evaluate the application and are not encouraging me to think that it's a good contender. If anyone has any suggestions about why I'm seeing these odd spacing issues then I'd be very grateful. I don't know if it might be caused by the fact that it's a trial copy, or my 64-bit Windows 7 laptop, but something odd is going on. I'm hoping that there's a simple explanation because I can't imagine that it looks like this for everyone else.

Many thanks for any help you can give me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DocuWil
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Mimic dialogs all display with horizontally truncated text

Post by DocuWil »

Hi,

Just to let you know that I am working with Mimic since beginning this year and I have never seen these problems.
Maybe it is indeed because of the evaluation copy but I can't remember these problems during this time.

Success with your decision.
Wil Veenstra

Documentation and Training Centre
Infologic Nederland
(Using Flare 11.1.2, Capture 7.0.0 and Mimic 7.0.0 in Windows 10 64-bit)
fchapman42
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Mimic dialogs all display with horizontally truncated text

Post by fchapman42 »

Thanks for your reply, it's good to know that it works OK for other users. After trying all sorts of things out, I eventually found a solution.

My laptop screen has a high resolution and this makes the fonts rather small to read. It was set up with the display size set to the default of Medium (125%) in the Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display\Make it easier to read what's on your screen dialog. When I changed this setting to Smaller (100%) it fixed the problem.

I'm a little surprised that Mimic cannot cope with this setting but this does appear to be the solution. For the rest of the trial I'll live with the Smaller setting, but I'm not sure that I'd be happy with this longer term.