Localization - Best Practices

This Forum is for General Issues about Mimic
kwag_myers
Propellus Maximus

Localization - Best Practices

Post by kwag_myers »

I'm getting ready to localize several Mimic projects into three languages and I'm wondering what the best practice is for this? As I see it, I have two options:

1. Save As for each project and each language, e.g., Tutorial1_FR, Tutorial1_ES, Tutorial1_PT. This requires replacing each frame's background with the localized version. Since Mimic doesn't seem to have a Replace Background Image option, I have to capture a new frame background, copy it, and paste into the frame (then delete the captured frame). Rather labor-intensive, but builds my job security.

2. Build a new project for each language and use MovieSync to import frame properties. This is uncharted waters for me, so I'm not sure what I'm getting myself into. This seems like the best way to go, but I'd like to hear from my peers, please.
"I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens!" - Curly Joe Howard
kwag_myers
Propellus Maximus

Re: Localization - Best Practices

Post by kwag_myers »

I ended up going with option 2, sort of. Replacing the background image for each frame presented several issues that led me to re-record the entire video in each language's UI. I then used MovieSync to import frame properties from my original (old) video to the new one. Here's what I learned:

- Be sure your original video is pristine. Take care of any and all little issues (nits) before you sync, no matter how minor they may seem.
- Use a script to be sure you follow the same process each time. Don't worry about timing between actions since you'll be applying these properties from the original video and, as long as your frame count is the same, the timing will be consistent among each version.
- I used 800 x 600 resolution and adjusted the UI (in my case, a web browser) by holding the Ctrl key and moving the mouse wheel until the UI fit the frame. I demo'd my first version on a 60" screen and my clients were fine with the resolution.
- Avoid Full-motion Video frames (FMVs), such as scrolling. If your project has them, be sure the Copy check box is clear for Time Span before you apply properties.
- DO NOT USE the Apply properties and shapes to whole movie feature. Haste makes waste.
"I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens!" - Curly Joe Howard