What is it for: Collection Editor > Conditions tab?

This Forum is for General Issues about Mimic
mhd
Propeller Head

What is it for: Collection Editor > Conditions tab?

Post by mhd »

Does anyone know why there is this Conditions tab in the Collection Editor, where you can include/exclude conditions?

From Flare, I understand that 1) you mark elements with conditions at almost any level inside the project, 2) at the target level, you exclude/include these marked elements.
In Mimic, I think that 1) you mark elements with conditions at almost any level inside the collection, 2) at the target level, you exclude/include these marked elements.

What's the point to set exclude/include actions at the collection level? Talking about Flare, it would be the same as setting exclude/include actions at the project level.
Am I wrong? I don't understand.

I hope that someone can take the time to explain. Thanks in advance!
kwag_myers
Propellus Maximus

Re: What is it for: Collection Editor > Conditions tab?

Post by kwag_myers »

Let's say you have three user groups: North American, European, and Global. North American users have movies for procedures A, B, and C in their collection. European users have A, C, and D. The Global user group would have both North American and European collections in the output. Does that help?
"I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens!" - Curly Joe Howard
mhd
Propeller Head

Post by mhd »

Thanks for reply, kwag_myers. Sorry, I'm not sure to understand your example.

The 3 user groups share the same collection?
This collection contains -let's say- 4 movies, for procedures A, B, C, D?
The A, B, C, D movies would be conditioned (in each movie properties, marked A, B, C, or D)?
In the collection, there would be 1 target for the NA group, where D would be excluded (through the target properties); 1 target for the E group, where B would be excluded, and 1 global target including everything.

If that makes sense, I still do not understand why the include/exclude action *on the collection*. When is this i/e action "expressed"? At building time. Building of what? Of the collection targets. But targets have their own i/e actions...

Can one project contain several collections? Can collections be nested?
If no and no, is it relevant to consider that the collection is the project?
kwag_myers
Propellus Maximus

Post by kwag_myers »

If you put all four movies into one collection, could you link them together for each user group? My understanding of a collection is to allow you to link one movie to another to show in sequence. In a sense, each movie becomes a segment of a bigger movie. In my example, you would have to conditionally tag the links, not the movies. I'm not sure you can do that. Once you link A to be followed by B, how are you going to tell Mimic to go from A to C for the Europeans?
"I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens!" - Curly Joe Howard