Running Mimic 7 on Windows 10

This Forum is for General Issues about Mimic
wpqs0
Jr. Propeller Head

Running Mimic 7 on Windows 10

Post by wpqs0 »

I cannot run Mimic 7 on Windows 10.

The problem seems to centre around the licensing issues for some of the proprietary DVD Video Codecs. MadCap's suggestion to install Microsoft Media Encoder doesn't work on Windows 10 as the Windows Media Player was removed in Windows 8x.

A solution that should work is to install a product like VLC media (free, open-source videolan.org) which provides all the common video codexs (MPEG-2, DivX, H.264, MKV, WebM, WMV, MP3). However, Mimic seems to insist on finding Microsoft Media Encoder Hotfix (which depends on Microsoft Media Encoder 9 being installed - not available on Windows 10).

Therefore it seems that Mimic 7 is incompatible with Windows 10. Not really what I expect from a very expensive subscription. I am hopeful that someone from MadCap will fix this issue in the next few days, or arrange a refund of my subscription. There doesn't seem to be any information on this issue on the support site.

Any suggestions for alternative products would be gratefully received.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Running Mimic 7 on Windows 10

Post by RamonS »

The issue is that Win 10 came out after Mimic 7. There was no way to include support for Win 10. The fault is more with Microsoft in that they removed support for some key features in Win 10. My suggestion in general is to stay far away from Win 10 as long as possible. There is really no compelling reason for using Win 10. My guess is you do not have a choice? If you still have access to a Win 7 license you can try running Win 7 in a VM on top of Win 10.
nielsf
Propeller Head

Post by nielsf »

Erm, now running Mimic 8 on Windows 10.

I upgraded to Windows 10. Repairing the installation of "Windows Media Encoder 9 Series" from Programs & Features seems to have done the trick.
-----
Flaring in Copenhagen, Denmark
spanchal
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by spanchal »

First, Mimic told me i had to install Windows Media Encoder, which i downloaded from Microsoft. However, it wouldn't install because it thought i didn't have DirectX 8.1 installed (however, dxdiag told me i have DirectX 12 installed). I found my next step on https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 1bb?auth=1, where one of the answers said to use

Code: Select all

WMEncoder64.exe /C /T:"C:\Extracted"
to extract the contents of WMEncoder64.exe and then told me to run the .msi file directly. After doing that, Mimic still wasn't happy, so i followed the advice in this thread to run a Repair on Windows Media Encoder 9 Series. After doing that, Mimic stopped telling me i didn't have Windows Media Encoder 9 Series installed.

Having said that, i haven't tried recording anything yet!
spanchal
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by spanchal »

spanchal wrote:Having said that, i haven't tried recording anything yet!
And... it doesn't work. For now, I have been recording video in another application and importing it into Mimic.