Video recording has failed, reduce the recording region

This Forum is for General Issues about Mimic
JohnBrewer
Jr. Propeller Head

Video recording has failed, reduce the recording region

Post by JohnBrewer »

Hey folks,

I've spent some time tinkering with Mimic today, and I've run into an annoying issue.

I'm trying to record a software slider being moved, but in Automatic recording mode the slider doesn't move in a fluid fashion. It jumps around.

To smooth it out I changed over to the video recording mode, but no matter how small I make the window or how short the video is, I always get an error message saying:

"Video recording has failed, reducing the size of the recorded region may prevent this from happening."

Has anyone encountered this? Got any ideas for me?

Thanks!
John
BedfordWriter
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Video recording has failed, reduce the recording region

Post by BedfordWriter »

Haven't seen that error message, but I have tried to use Mimic's on-screen video recording. My suggestion is, don't. I've never been happy with the results.

It's a lot more work on your part, but you can use keyframes to build your own animation. Start with an image of the background and an image of the bit of the slider that moves. Set keyframes for the start and end position of the slider and there you go.

And send lots of suggestions to Madcap for ways that this can be improved. https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
JohnBrewer
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by JohnBrewer »

BedfordWriter wrote:Haven't seen that error message, but I have tried to use Mimic's on-screen video recording. My suggestion is, don't. I've never been happy with the results.

It's a lot more work on your part, but you can use keyframes to build your own animation. Start with an image of the background and an image of the bit of the slider that moves. Set keyframes for the start and end position of the slider and there you go.

And send lots of suggestions to Madcap for ways that this can be improved. https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
I didn't think about the animation, but that's an excellent idea! Thanks very much for the help!
athenarosa
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by athenarosa »

If you encounter this problem and are using a workstation with more than one monitor, try doing the recording on one of your other monitors. My workstation has 3 monitors, and I've been battling with this error message for a couple of days, only to discover (totally by accident) that the recording failed on only ONE of the monitors. When I moved the window I was recording to another monitor, the recording worked just fine. I cannot explain WHY this was the problem, but I was certainly frustrated to have gone through numerous troubleshooting efforts (updating codecs, mimic hotfixes, directx updates, etc.) only to find out that the error is somehow related to the dang monitor where I'm doing the recording. I checked several more times to make sure that this was actually the problem, and every single time I try to record from that monitor, I get the error. I don't have any problems at all when recording from my other 2 monitors. Not sure this fix will work for everyone, but I hope it helps someone out there avoid the same frustrations I had.