Silverlight Output and Input Box

This Forum is for all Mimic issues related to Mimic's various output types.
hitek
Propeller Head

Silverlight Output and Input Box

Post by hitek »

Should I expect to see the cursor and it flashing on an Input Box via Silverlight? It works fine in MMP.

You can tell when someone starts digging into a product. They start posting a ton! :?
Best Wishes,
Hitek
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Silverlight Output and Input Box

Post by RamonS »

Posting is one thing, but if you think it needs fixing then please file a report here:
https://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx
MadCap Support is following the forums closely, but they may miss one or the other post. They will for sure take care of your bug report.
hitek
Propeller Head

Post by hitek »

I guess I'm wondering if I should expect to see it. It's not a bug if it was not meant to be included.
Best Wishes,
Hitek
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Well, you are expecting it there and it isn't. So that is a bug and it should be reported. If that bug can be fixed and if it needs to be fixed is a different story.
dwag
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by dwag »

Hitek,

I've been working with the product for a while, and trust me, Silverlight and Flash outputs are not ready for prime time. I've learned the hard way. Until MadCap gets up to speed in those areas, stick with MMP output.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

The problem with MMP output is that the end-user needs to install yet another player, which in a corporate setting often can be a no go. Flash is despite the security issues the most accepted one, Silverlight is the same as Flash, but with the focus on making things easy for the developer (Microsoft never cared about users anyway). Besides that, Silverlight is really only fully supported on Windows and there really only in IE. So if one has an undetermined or diverse target platform then Silverlight is not the solution. I think just because of that situation does Mimic offer Flash output, which I bet is the most popular output.
MMP is better than the other two, because MadCap has developers that generally do a better job as the 800 pound gorillas in the software industry. Since both Flash and Silverlight put limitations in place that MadCap has no control over it is well possible that the flashing cursor in the input box is not even offered on Flash or Silverlight. Still, report it as a bug. Reporting this bug means there is a deficiency, it is not about blaming someone. The goal is to get the bug fixed. Once that happens it doesn't matter who goofed up.