Can't setup server

This forum is for general questions about Feedback Explorer and Feedback Server.
Eric Lachance
Sr. Propeller Head

Can't setup server

Post by Eric Lachance »

I've given up trying to figure this one out myself. I've installed all the pre-requisites (IIS, SQL Server 2008, .Net, etc) and I can't get Feedback to pass the "Install Feedback Server" phase. The dialog lists my local server correctly (I've set it to "no instance" so it's just the name of the server, no \instance name), and it sees the default website in IIS, but when I hit OK, I get the following message:
Windows NT user or group '\ASPNET' not found. Check the name again.
Changed database context to 'master'.
I have no idea what that means or how to fix it.

Edit: Just so we're clear on some details, SQL Server 2008 is local, it's running, I can access it with SQL Management Studio Express, and the ASPNET user IS present on this machine.
Eric Lachance
Technical Trainer
Objectif Lune Inc.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Can't setup server

Post by RamonS »

Do you have ASP.NET installed and enabled on IIS? If yes, it can further be that IIS got installed/enabled after installing the .NET runtime. In that case IIS is too stupid to recognize that ASP.NET is already installed and claims it isn't. That can be fixed by using aspnet_regiis.exe -i . That file is found e.g. in C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319 or any of the other applicable folders with the runtime files. If that doesn't work try aspnet_regiis.exe -r . If that still doesn't fix it you need to wait for someone with some magic to come by.
BTW, did I ever mention that I loathe IIS? Just because of ridiculous stuff like this... :roll:
Eric Lachance
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Can't setup server

Post by Eric Lachance »

YEah, I loathe IIS too. I actually realized that XAMPP was running on the same machine on port 80, stopped it just to be sure that wasn't causing an issue. But that wasn't it.

Ends up it was probably my fault entirely. While I was installing IIS I didn't have my original Windows CD, so I copied the i386 from a different virtual machine into this one. Had to rename a few DLLs to get it to recognize them, so I'm guessing it wasn't the right versions. IIS wouldn't even start, so...

With the correct CD and versions (and thank God for Snapshots), everything is now A-OK. Ready to continue testing and then onto the next step: Live! :)
Eric Lachance
Technical Trainer
Objectif Lune Inc.