MadCap Feedback Server on Load Balanced Environment

This forum is for general questions about Feedback Explorer and Feedback Server.
Adept
Jr. Propeller Head

MadCap Feedback Server on Load Balanced Environment

Post by Adept »

Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of evaluating an Authroring and Feedback solution for a new .Net application. The application will be launched soon for UAT.
The application will be deployed on a load balanced web farm (Starting 3 Web servers running Win Server 2008 R2 and IIS 7.5).
My questions are:
Does MadCap Feedback support a web farm?
If yes, What is the licensing model?
Does MadCap Feedback need to be installed on each web server, or it could run of a stand alone server and monitor the web farm?

I found a blog entry comparing RoboHelp Server and MadCap Feedback server:

"The RoboHelp Server also requires that the content files be stored on the very same machine as the RoboHelp Server. This means that you are locked in to putting everything on a Microsoft IIS server. In a MadCap Software tool work flow generated content files can be run on the same Microsoft IIS server as the MadCap Feedback Server, or your content files can be hosted on a single Unix or Linux machine or even on a farm of machines for load balancing. This can be critical for high traffic situations. It also comes in handy if your company is a Linux/Unix shop, you won’t have to explain why you need a bunch of new Microsoft servers just to host your documentation."

I still couldn't find any clear technical documentation of this feature, or how to impliment it.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob
JohnB
Propeller Head

Re: MadCap Feedback Server on Load Balanced Environment

Post by JohnB »

Hi Bob -

You could check with sales support, but I think you'd be fine installing the feedback server software on a standalone server. Just enter the feedback server's URL in each of your Flare Help project's output target (e.g. WebHelp Plus). As long as the standalone server is discoverable, the Help should be able to communicate with the feedback server from whereever the Help has been published.

- John