Opt-in/out option?

This forum is for general questions about Feedback Explorer and Feedback Server.
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Opt-in/out option?

Post by techwriter31 »

We've been thinking about implementing MadCap Feedback, but are unsure about the "discrete" aspect of the data collection. Is there a way to allow users to opt-out of the data collection?

In regards to user privacy, are we required to inform users that data is being collected?
Kellie
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Opt-in/out option?

Post by RamonS »

Cannot answer your first question, in regards to the second question, it should be sufficient to disclose that information is collected without giving detail as to what is collected. I base that on what my company does in regards to information collected for software activation. Your best bet is to pass that on to corporate lawyers. They can provide much better advice and can craft the wording of the disclosure.
EmilyM
Propeller Head

Post by EmilyM »

Hi techwriter31,

What did you end up doing about this?

We have been discussing the same issue in the last few days about how we inform our users that we are collecting data.

EmilyM
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Post by techwriter31 »

Hi EmilyM,

We decided to postpone the deployment of the Feedback service until 2012 (so I've postponed researching the implementation of the service for the time-being).

But I'd definitely be interested in how it turns out for you! If you don't mind, please update this post based on your experiences.

Thanks!
Kellie
EmilyM
Propeller Head

Post by EmilyM »

No worries, will do.
Pamb10
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Pamb10 »

We have a disclosure page on our website and have linked to that page from the online help.
Landy
Propeller Head

Post by Landy »

I am interested in this topic at the moment.

- Opt in/out: There needs to be a method for users to opt in or out of data collection, which defaults to opt-out. Is there a mechanism or feature in Flare / Feedback Server that does this? MS have this feature in their Win 7 help (Options > Settings...) from the 'Windows Help and Support' toolbar.

- Privacy: We have a privacy statement on the company corporate website, but isn't quite approariate in relation to data collection from help file usage. I think (after speaking to our legal team) that you would need to state exactly what data is being obtained.
Landy
Propeller Head

Post by Landy »

To follow on from my previous post:

- Opt-in/out: This will now most likely be done through the help installer.

- Privacy: Legals are writing up a statement on data collection, and firing me lots of questions! One I wasn't sure of is 'How is the information collected'?'.
Is it done through Cookies?

Can anyone please provide a brief explanation of how the data collection works, or point me to an appropriate resource about it?

Thanks