Looking for a trial registry cleaner!!!

This forum is for general questions about Feedback Explorer and Feedback Server.
qwen
Jr. Propeller Head

Looking for a trial registry cleaner!!!

Post by qwen »

Regards to all, this is my first posting and I believe that you will be gentle to me. I am looking for a tool/software that can manage my system registry files. I know that I can get them online but I need to try them before I actually use them so that I can be sure of the results.

Any suggestions????
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Looking for a trial registry cleaner!!!

Post by RamonS »

First of all, welcome to the MadCap forums!
I think this is the wrong place to ask this question. There are tons of other forums on the web that cover general Windows questions.
I used CCleaner in the past, but what you can also do is export the entire registry to .reg files before you install anything and then revert back. You don't state exactly what you try to accomplish and you also throw the word "trial" in there. Do you want to get a trial version of a registry cleaner? Do you want to clean the registry after uninstalling a MadCap software trial (then you should post this question in the appropriate forums)? Or are you looking for some tool that cleans out registry keys so that the trial limitations go away? You really need to provide more and better information.

Was this gentle enough?
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

qwen wrote:Any suggestions????
Don't do it?

Since it's inception the registry has been a love to hate feature. Before the registry we had "DLL HELL", now we have "REGISTRY BLOAT" and so on. If you're not having any problems running a registry cleaner can actually cause problems.

You have to be careful with any form of program removel as well, I can remember deleting a major program created by one of the larger, more reputable companies. Must have used some VB in the code somewhere, deleting it also removed part of my VB6 installation! (The program wasn't by MS, either.)

Unless you have a good reason, leave the registry alone, and don't trust something to make decisions about it for you!

HTH
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Well, that is true for some cases, but the mentioned registry bloat is caused by applications who don't clean up after themselves and stuff the regsitry with pointless junk that can either be deleted or just as well live in an .ini file. Btw, MadCap's software is one of the worst offenders in this category. Yes, bug report was submitted long time ago.