New Error: "Segment Overflow Definition"

This Forum is for General Issues about Analyzer
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

New Error: "Segment Overflow Definition"

Post by ccardimon »

I downloaded, installed, and ran the new Analyzer on a project. I am getting "Segment Overflow Definition" errors where there weren't any before. How do I deal with these?
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
pcalnan
Propeller Head

Re: New Error: "Segment Overflow Definition"

Post by pcalnan »

I'm seeing this myself and would be interested in learning more.

When I export the Analyzer report in CSV format, it looks like this...
File,Folder,Description
2Architecture.html,Content/SA_docs/Security/,SegmentOverflowDefinition: @Text : String truncation: max=4000_ len=4533_ value='ArchitectureTo better understand what impacts may have on the security of the networks that it manages_ it is necessary to have an understanding of its components and design. consists of three major components: Agents_ Probes_ and the server.Probes and AgentsA Probe is a software component that resides on a system within a customer's network_ behind their firewall or within their private IP space. Probes provide monitoring and management services for devices on that private network_ leveraging industry standard protocols such as WMI_ SNMP_ ODBC_ and others.An Agent is an additional software component that may be installed on a Microsoft_ Mac OS X_ or Linux host device in order to gather data specific to that local device. Agents are typically installed on all Windows devices to provide full monitoring and management regardless of the logical placement of that device on the Internet.Probe and Agent Communications Probes and Agents communicate with the server using similar architecture and methods. The Probes and Agents leverage client-side initiated communications_ where all data communications begin with an outbound call from the Agent or Probe. As a direct result of this architecture_ there is no public IP address or port forwarding required from the Internet to the devices running the Probes or Agents. The outbound communications from the Agents to the server are based on SOAP and are transmitted using the HTTP or HTTPS protocols on the standard web ports. The nature of these communications allows for the support of standard proxies on the local network. After the outbound session is established_ the Agent receives a session ID that is used to identify that session and it persists until the session is closed. The Agents and Probes will open a second (asynchronous) signalling channel leveraging the XMPP protocol (on port 80/443) that is persistent to allow the server to signal the Agents and Probes when actions are necessary (such as to initiate a remote control session). In cases where the XMPP session is terminated abnormally (for example_ by a firewall cleaning open sessions)_ the Agent will re-create the session automatically. leverages the XMPP based communications for control purposes only_ not for the transmission of monitored data. As an additional measure_ the XMPP protocol can be turned off for individual device or globally_ however_ this isn't recommended as this increases system load and will cause latency on certain features. The Agent_ Probe_ and XMPP based communications feature 128 bit RSA with RC4 based encryption when running in HTTPS mode. ServerThe server is the "brains" of the system_ and contains a number of components_ including the Web Interface_ the Administrator Console (NAC)_ Data Management System (DMS)_ Database_ and other core system components. In addition to providing an interface for the Agents and Probes_ the DMS is also the business logic layer of the application. All rules that govern how deals with data are executed at this level. All physical data (configuration or monitored) is stored within the relational PostgreSQL database.The server is designed and secured so that it may be placed directly on the Internet_ however_ the recommended best practice is to place it in a restricted internet zone_ such as a DMZ. It requires that the following TCP ports be open:22 (SSH) to support remote control80 (HTTP) (optional) for the web user interface443 (HTTPS) (optional_ though one of 80 or 443 must be open) for the web user interface10000 (Proprietary) serves the Administrator Console's user interfaceThe server itself is based on the CentOS 5.5 operating system which was fully patched at the time of the release. Additional updates are distributed as required through the standard Hotfix or Service Pack process. This same process applies to all internal components such as the database_ application servers_ and so on. The server includes an integrated firewall designed to secure the system from unwanted network traffic.Internally_ the system is built using industry standard best practices_ including storage of all user passwords by first encrypting them using one-way encryption. Additional layers of security are provided in the application to provide strong input type checking_ user access permissions_ as well as protective support for cross site scripting (XSS) attacks.The Upgrade ProcessUpgrading involves not only upgrading the server but also the Agents and Probes that communicate with it.'.
I'm curious why it's amalgamating separate lines together. There is text and code missing so I'm wondering how this ends up being an excessively long character string when in the topic itself, it's not.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Patrick Calnan
Shopify
http://www.shopify.com
mdsimmonds
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by mdsimmonds »

I am also receiving the segment overflow/truncation errors using Flare 9.1.1 and Analyzer 6.0.0:
SegmentOverflowDefinition: @Text : String truncation: max=4000_ len=4016_ value='Archive - 52 - North Dakota Run Sheet Setup ChecklistThis checklist provides etc...

I also have several database errors where it displays the topic but contains no description.
clxmichelle
Propeller Head

Post by clxmichelle »

I got this error, and I finally noticed that there were a few lines of text that were not contained in tags (like p, div, whatever), so really they were just floating in the body tag. Now that I've deleted those, the error is gone. Let you know if something changes.
~michelle