Deleting unused bookmarks

This Forum is for General Issues about Analyzer
RiverMonster
Sr. Propeller Head

Deleting unused bookmarks

Post by RiverMonster »

Hi,

I just downloaded the trial version of Analyzer.
I opened a Flare project and looked for unlinked bookmarks.
There were a few hundred (a spillover from the original conversion from Frame), but the trial version just shows 10 at a time. No problem with that.
I selected the 10 it showed and deleted them (with the Delete key). I clicked Yes to the popups that appeared.
My expectation was that doing this would just delete the bookmarks, but when I checked in the Flare project the actual text of the paragraphs containing the bookmarks had been deleted too just leaving the tags (h4s) behind.

Before I send a bug report to MadCap, am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Adrian
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Deleting unused bookmarks

Post by LTinker68 »

No, it's doing what I would expect it to do. The bookmarks after all are just <a name=""> tags that generally don't exist on their own (i.e., without being inside a heading tag, a paragraph, a div, a table, etc.). So it removed the bookmark tag, which is what you asked it to do, but it's not going to arbitrarily affect surrounding content or tags. For instance, if you had the bookmark inside a paragraph with several sentences, you wouldn't want deleting a bookmark to delete the entire paragraph -- you just want it to remove the bookmark tag from that paragraph.

See if Analyzer has another function to look for empty tags; if so, then you can use that function to delete the empty <h4> tags.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
RiverMonster
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by RiverMonster »

Thanks Lisa,

I see from your reply I didn't phrase things very well.

Suppose I have this in my topic code:
<h4><a name="Test_29670"></a>About Care Documentation</h4>

I run Analyzer and it identifies "Test_29670" as an unlinked bookmark. So I delete it (in Analyzer) and then open the topic code in Flare. I now see this:
<h4></h4>

This is what I mean by the actual text of the paragraph being deleted leaving the tags. It sounds from your reply that this is indeed a bug (or some sort of corruption in my project).

Thanks,

Adrian
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Oh, yes, that's definitely a bug (a big one). It should remove <a name="Test_29670"></a> and leave <h4>About Care Documentation</h4> in place. Definitely report that bug at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.