Analyzer newbie question around unused bookmarks

This Forum is for General Issues about Analyzer
rogersm
Propeller Head

Analyzer newbie question around unused bookmarks

Post by rogersm »

Hi there,

We have imported a lot of content from Framemaker to a Flare project. When I use Analyzer, it states that there are over 5000 Unused Bookmarks in the project. My questions are:
Is it okay to remove these unused bookmarks?
Is there any performance advantage to removing unused bookmarks?

thanks,
mark
rogersm
Propeller Head

Re: Analyzer newbie question around unused bookmarks

Post by rogersm »

I know this post should have been posted in the "Analyzer's General Discussion" forum, but I am not sure how to move it.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

I moved it to the desired place. :D
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

I think (but couldn't swear to it) that the FrameMaker import inserts bookmarks for every heading. However, Flare doesn't use these bookmarks for its cross-refs as it uses the first heading in a topic.

So I would happily remove all bookmarks that aren't used for cross-refs. The Analyzer report is on UNUSED bookmarks, so if you do have any cross-refs to a bookmarks somewhere inside your topic, that bookmark won't appear.

As for whether there's any advantage, personally I would want to do that bit of tidying up so that my Flare files are as clean as possible. As you work in Flare, over time you will add bits and pieces that you may later want to remove when they are no longer needed (like spans in the stylesheet that you apply, but then don't need any more, or conditions) so it is worth deleting unnecessary things like unused bookmarks. If you need to add the odd bookmark later, say to a lower-level heading that appears inside a topic, you can do so, but just because you might want to use one or two of these is no reason to keep several thousand.

Not sure, but I think you can remove the unused bookmarks in one hit from within Analyzer, rather than searching them out one by one.

And welcome to Flare and the forums. You'll find loads of help here, and they're a very friendly bunch. :D
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx