Unresolved import-links

This Forum is for General Issues about Analyzer
tam_ba
Jr. Propeller Head

Unresolved import-links

Post by tam_ba »

I'm trying to debug the cause of an import issue with various unresolved/broken "import-links" from an imported FrameMaker fileset in Flare, and am trying to see how Analyzer might help me see where all these broken links exist. In Flare, I can see these links by opening up the individual topics and viewing the content in text view or via the Link Viewer (displays as a broken link). When I open the fileset in Analyzer however, these links are not listed in the "Broken Links" report, although I do see them listed in the "External Links" report. Also, if, in the External Links report, I try to check the status of any of these links using the "Check..." button, I get the Status message "Skipped". What does this mean? (This status value isn't defined in the MadCap Help topic.) Any ideas?
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Unresolved import-links

Post by Nita Beck »

I'm just making a wild guess here, but I would think that a broken *external* link means that the link is pointing outside of the Flare project. Analyzer/Flare can't resolve it because the destination of the link is outside its area of influence. As I said, this is a wild guess...
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
tam_ba
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Unresolved import-links

Post by tam_ba »

It's a good guess (that the links were likely pointing outside of the Flare project), but was hard to tell that by looking at the Flare markup (and Analyzer report). After a good deal of searching, it turns out that these "broken-import" links were occurred during import because the paths in the source FrameMaker content (in separate FrameMaker files) were too long due to mix of lengthy filenames/network paths/etc. In short, the issue had nothing to do with Flare, but manifested itself in Flare. It would have been nice if Analyzer had somehow flagged these links as a problem (just keying off the term "broken-import" which is in the Flare markup). That said, I think this scenario is somewhat of a corner case - and obviously the solution to fixing the problem would not be solved using Analyzer.