Markup Suggestions report questions

This Forum is for General Issues about Analyzer
rogersm
Propeller Head

Markup Suggestions report questions

Post by rogersm »

Hi there,

I ran the Analyzer report on Markup Suggestions and I just have a few basic questions:

Is there any way to avoid introducing multiple spaces when writing in the XML editor of Flare? We normally write our content in the XML editor and the only way these spaces seem to show up is in the text editor. Unfortunately, we have a significant number of existing multiple spaces in our content (some are needed and some are not required) but it would be good to avoid introducing more.

Is there a performance impact on an output with having so many multiple spaces?

Should CDATA tags always be removed and never be present? I am asking because I am wondering if it is safe to just use Analyzer to remove these in one go. I am not sure how these CDATA tags got introduced in our content (which was originally imported from Framemaker) and have no idea about the performance impact on our output. I am not sure what CDATA represents :) .

Similar to the CDATA removal question above, is it okay to remove empty attributes in one go?

thanks,
mark
Wendy F
Propeller Head

Re: Markup Suggestions report questions

Post by Wendy F »

following this post. Hope someone has some answers.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

This wikipedia page provides a technical explanation of CDATA:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDATA

This section is probably most applicable to your question:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDATA#Use ... ram_output

Hope that helps a little. I'm afraid I can't offer any other help
rogersm
Propeller Head

Post by rogersm »

Hi,

I actually logged a ticket with Flare support about this. Here is there response:

"Flare's XML editor does not allow more than a single space to be inserted when adding with a spacebar click. However, you can add multiple spaces in a row through the Insert > Insert Character > "Non-break Space selection" or by holding SHIFT+Spacebar. Otherwise, multiple spaces should not be occurring while editing in the XML Editor unless brought over with an import as there is no option to turn on/off within Flare for this.

Additionally, multiple spaces have not been seen to cause performance issues from use cases I have experienced and typically again don't occur normally by default. If you do remove the additional spaces, through individual removal or in bulk through a Find and Replace, that is acceptable to do so.

CDATA by the way stands for Character Data and it means that the data in between these strings includes data that could be interpreted as XML markup, but should not be. In other words, anything wrapped in CDATA tags will be seen as plain text rather than the parse that normally occur on it. A good example can be seen below:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDATA"

I have found that a lot of our new content (as opposed to content we imported from Flare) have more than a single space. I am still not sure what the cause of this is, potentially it is because writers copy and paste content into Flare and the source content might have spacing in it. But it is good to know that there is no performance impact.

As for the CDATA question I had, I am still not sure if it is safe to remove all these in one go from Flare.

I need to follow up with Flare support on the empty attributes question.

thanks,
mark