Duplicate TOC topics are not really duplicates

This Forum is for General Issues about Analyzer
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Duplicate TOC topics are not really duplicates

Post by ccardimon »

Analyzer is telling me I have duplicate TOC topics. Well, it might LOOK that way, but it's a method of organization.

I have the TOC divided into books and these books contain the topics. I tried doing things without the books, but the TOC becomes long and messy very quickly.

I organize the TOC this way for the Online output. Users see only a handful of neat books and are not confronted by a grocery list of topics.

Analyzer is seeing this as wasteful, I guess. How do I tell Analyzer that I'm simply trying to be "neat."

How does everyone else organize their TOCs? I'm wide open here.

I'm willing to learn from those who have gone before me.
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Duplicate TOC topics are not really duplicates

Post by LTinker68 »

I don't think there's a way to tell Analyzer that it's not a problem, but it doesn't stop you from doing anything, right, so you can leave them as is.

However, as a suggestion... I have the synchronize TOC option enabled in my project and I use breadcrumbs. If the user does a search or in some other manner tries to select the topic under BookB, the TOC may instead synchronize to the topic under BookA, because that's the first instance of the topic. I've never tested to see whether it pops to the topic in the first alphabetical book or the book that I first added the topic to.

In any case, what I do is put the content of the topic into a snippet. Then I create two different topics, one that will go in BookA and one that will go in BookB. The topic for BookA will have the title line (the <h1> line) and the snippet file is inserted into the topic to provide the content. The topic for BookB will have the title line (which may be different from the other topic) and the snippet file is inserted into the topic to provide the content. So if the user clicks on the topic under BookA then the TOC synchronizes correctly and the breadcrumbs match the location. Likewise, if the user clicks on the topic under BookB, then the TOC again synchronizes to the correct spot and the breadcrumbs show what they should.

Depending on your TOC structure, you might want to disable one of the topics from being searchable so that the user won't get two identical responses. For instance, in one of my projects, there are topics for the Purchasing Dept., the Manufacturing Dept., and for All Depts. If I set up a topic for each category and each one has the snippet file for content, then I'll disable the topics in the purchasing and manufacturing department books from being searchable, so that the user only finds the topic in the All departments book.

Hope that helps. Sorry for the long post. Darn thing got away from me.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Post by ccardimon »

LTinker68 wrote: Hope that helps. Sorry for the long post. Darn thing got away from me.
Yeah, but I learn a lot that way. Thank you.
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Post by ccardimon »

LTinker68 wrote:I have the synchronize TOC option enabled in my project and I use breadcrumbs.
Where is the synchronize TOC option?

I take it breadcrumbs are not what you feed the cats. GRIN.
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Post by Richard Ferrell »

In the skins, on the basic tab
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Post by ccardimon »

Thanks. Boy, was I in the wrong place. Glad I asked.
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Post by ccardimon »

I need to create a Master Page so that I can use Breadcrumbs, correct?

Then I have to associate that Master Page with a Target. That's what I'm gettting, anyway.
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Yes your Masterpage will need to have the BreadCrumbs proxy on it
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Post by ccardimon »

Richard Ferrell wrote:Yes your Masterpage will need to have the BreadCrumbs proxy on it
Someone will probably laugh, and that's okay. How badly does creating a Master Page hurt?

I know that with MS Word, Master Pages are bad.

Apparently with Flare, Master Pages are good. That's what we're saying here, am I right?
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Masterpages are Good, :) Realy easy to create, Click on Project and Add Masterpage, then add any proxies you need.
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

And the default master page already comes with all these proxies in place.
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Post by ccardimon »

RamonS wrote:And the default master page already comes with all these proxies in place.
As I discovered. A pleasant surprise.
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Post by ccardimon »

LTinker68 wrote:I have the synchronize TOC option enabled in my project and I use breadcrumbs.
Can someone tell me why I should use breadcrumbs? I have not been able to find a good answer.
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

It makes for an easier orientation for the customer and allows for speedier navigation, especially when the ToC panel is not shown. It also is a nice way to send a note to someone pointing to a topic. Copy and paste the breadcrumb line and you have the exact path on how to get to the topic.
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Post by ccardimon »

RamonS wrote:It makes for an easier orientation for the customer and allows for speedier navigation, especially when the ToC panel is not shown. It also is a nice way to send a note to someone pointing to a topic. Copy and paste the breadcrumb line and you have the exact path on how to get to the topic.
Sounds good to me.

Is there a help topic on breadcrumbs that I have missed?

"What They Are," "How You Enable/Apply Them," "How Clients Use Them" -- anything like that?

Breadcrumbs seem like they would be really useful, but I am unable to find much on them.
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

If you go here in the Flare help -- Features > Master Pages > About Master Pages -- then you'll get a short paragraph describing breadcrumbs and a screenshot of what a compiled topic looks like with breadcrumbs shown.

Lisa
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Post by ccardimon »

LTinker68 wrote:If you go here in the Flare help -- Features > Master Pages > About Master Pages -- then you'll get a short paragraph describing breadcrumbs and a screenshot of what a compiled topic looks like with breadcrumbs shown.
Cool. Thank you.
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Post by ccardimon »

Yippee! I got the breadcrumbs working, inspite of my ignorance. I love when that happens. Thanks, guys.
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Now, here are some warnings about the breadcrumbs:
- always tie a topic to any book in a ToC
- do not add the same topic multiple times to a ToC (use that ol' snippet trick)
- make sure that you adjust the breadcrumb level depth to the depth of your ToC, otherwise portions of the breadcrumb path are omitted
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Post by ccardimon »

RamonS wrote: - do not add the same topic multiple times to a ToC (use that ol' snippet trick)
I think I will have to learn the "snippet" trick before I can use it. Any suggestions? What they are, how to use and enable them, and so forth?
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

ccardimon wrote:I think I will have to learn the "snippet" trick before I can use it. Any suggestions? What they are, how to use and enable them, and so forth?
Here are the steps:
  1. Go to Project > Add Snippet.
  2. In the Add New Snippet screen, give the snippet a name and click Add.
  3. The snippet file looks like a normal topic in the XML Editor, but it doesn't have a heading line (which you don't want for this) and it has a different file extension. Enter content into this snippet file like you would a normal topic and save the file.
  4. Create a new topic file, name it whatever you want, and enter a title (first heading).
  5. Remove the "Delete this text..." text.
  6. With the cursor on the now blank paragraph, go to Insert > Snippet. Select the snippet that you created in step 3 and click Ok.
  7. The content from that snippet will appear in the topic as a solid (uneditable) block, kind of like you inserted a picture of text.
  8. Save the topic.
  9. Copy that topic and give the new topic a different file name and title (if desired), or repeat steps 4-8 to create the second topic.
  10. Add each of those two topics (but NOT the snippet file) to the TOC in the appropriate books.
  11. Compile the help and test it. When you click on the two different topics, you'll see the same content, but the breadcrumbs will change to match the path to the book containing the topic you clicked on.
NOTE: By default, both topics will be returned in search results. I recommend either you modify the titles of the two topics slightly so that the user doesn't think it's returning the same topic twice, or open the Properties screen for one of the topics and set it to not be searchable.

Lisa
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Post by ccardimon »

Thanks, Lisa. I'm working on it.
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Post by ccardimon »

RamonS wrote:Now, here are some warnings about the breadcrumbs:
- always tie a topic to any book in a ToC
- do not add the same topic multiple times to a ToC (use that ol' snippet trick)
- make sure that you adjust the breadcrumb level depth to the depth of your ToC, otherwise portions of the breadcrumb path are omitted
I am working on snippets, but I'm not sure I really need them.

1. My topics are tied to books. Each topic is tied to a book.
2. My TOC depth is just one level, so I shouldn't have to adjust my breadcrumb depth, should I?
3. How would a topic be added multiple times to a TOC? (I may have forgotten something we discussed previously.)
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

ccardimon wrote:2. My TOC depth is just one level, so I shouldn't have to adjust my breadcrumb depth, should I?
I think the default is 3 levels, so if you only go down one level, then you should be fine.
ccardimon wrote:3. How would a topic be added multiple times to a TOC? (I may have forgotten something we discussed previously.)
Depends on your work methods, but I drag my topics from the Content Explorer to the TOC Editor to add them to the TOC. The alternative method is to create a TOC entry in the TOC Editor and link it to a topic.

Lisa
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Post by ccardimon »

LTinker68 wrote:
ccardimon wrote:3. How would a topic be added multiple times to a TOC? (I may have forgotten something we discussed previously.)
Depends on your work methods, but I drag my topics from the Content Explorer to the TOC Editor to add them to the TOC. The alternative method is to create a TOC entry in the TOC Editor and link it to a topic.
You're saying both methods result in topics being added to TOCs more than once, correct? And Analyzer doesn't like this.
Craig

Lost in Disturbia