Duplicate TOC topics are not really duplicates

This Forum is for General Issues about Analyzer
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Duplicate TOC topics are not really duplicates

Post by LTinker68 »

ccardimon wrote:You're saying both methods result in topics being added to TOCs more than once, correct? And Analyzer doesn't like this.
It's not that it doesn't like it or that it'll cause an error or other problems when you build -- it's just pointing it out in case you didn't realize that you had a topic listed twice in the TOC. For instance, you could inadvertently have added the same topic twice to the same book -- you wouldn't want that. Likewise, if you want your bookmarks to sync up with the book you're in and you're using the snippet method to make sure it works, then Analyzer telling you you have two copies of the same topic helps you pinpoint which topics you need to apply the snippet workaround to. So if you DO want a topic listed twice in the TOC and you don't care if the breadcrumbs don't sync up (or you're not using breadcrumbs at all), then you can ignore the warning from Analyzer.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Post by ccardimon »

LTinker68 wrote:
ccardimon wrote:You're saying both methods result in topics being added to TOCs more than once, correct? And Analyzer doesn't like this.
It's not that it doesn't like it or that it'll cause an error or other problems when you build -- it's just pointing it out in case you didn't realize that you had a topic listed twice in the TOC. For instance, you could inadvertently have added the same topic twice to the same book -- you wouldn't want that. Likewise, if you want your bookmarks to sync up with the book you're in and you're using the snippet method to make sure it works, then Analyzer telling you you have two copies of the same topic helps you pinpoint which topics you need to apply the snippet workaround to. So if you DO want a topic listed twice in the TOC and you don't care if the breadcrumbs don't sync up (or you're not using breadcrumbs at all), then you can ignore the warning from Analyzer.
That makes sense. The drawback here is, you're making me think. GRIN.
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

ccardimon wrote:That makes sense. The drawback here is, you're making me think. GRIN.
Yeah, I hate it when that happens.

Lisa
evanarsdall
Propeller Head

Post by evanarsdall »

LTinker68 wrote:I think the default is 3 levels, so if you only go down one level, then you should be fine.
I have never had to edit breadcrumbs and find the process a little confusing. From reading various posts here, I understand that the breadcrumbs proxy is controlled by a style called breadcrumbsProxy, but I only know that because I opened up a style sheet and looked for it.

When I have my master page open, I have tried various right-click commands, all of which give me puzzling results:
  • If I select Edit Breadcrumbs Proxy, the dialog that opens doesn't list anything under Stylesheet Class. I can type in "breadcrumbsProxy" and click OK, but that has no effect that I can see. All it does is show me what I typed in the next time I open the box. The help topic on this dialog box is pretty vague.
  • If I select Style Class > Edit Style Class, Flare tells me that it can't find a previously defined CSS style for the element, even though I know one exists. I would rather use the existing class than create a new one.
The problem is, I can't easily tell what style sheet is associated with a master page, or how to associate one. I have two topic style sheets in my project, one of which is used with most of my topics.

Besides controlling the look of the breadcrumbs, I need to control the number of levels, and I'm not sure how to do that. I can't find very specific information in the help, either.
Eddie
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

evanarsdall wrote:Besides controlling the look of the breadcrumbs, I need to control the number of levels, and I'm not sure how to do that. I can't find very specific information in the help, either.
If you double-click on the stylesheet the Stylesheet Editor will open. I don't have Flare open at the moment, so I can't remember which category the breadcrumbsProxy is in, but if you set the GUI to show all styles then you'll see the breadcrumbsProxy. When you select it, one of the options that appears on the right should be something about the depth of the breadcrumbs. The default is 3. You can also change the character that separates the breadcrumbs and the text that appears at the beginning ("You are here: ").

As for right-clicking on the option in the masterpage, I've never done that so I can't tell you what those options should be doing. As for which stylesheet the masterpage is pointing to, as I recall you can't see that reference in the Properties screen, but if you go to Tools > Stylesheet Links then it'll tell you which stylesheet it's pointing to.

Lisa
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Post by ccardimon »

evanarsdall wrote:I have never had to edit breadcrumbs and find the process a little confusing.
Just a little? I find myself avoiding breadcrumbs, as in editing them, like the plague.
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
evanarsdall
Propeller Head

Post by evanarsdall »

LTinker68 wrote:If you double-click on the stylesheet the Stylesheet Editor will open.
Hi, Lisa:

I had already opened the stylesheet from the Resources folder. I just couldn't find the specific breadcrumb properties I was looking for. I didn't think to look under the Unclassified group.

Thanks for reminding me to check the stylesheet links. I had been having a brain drain and had looked under properties, and that strange little Breadcrumbs Proxy dialog box didn't help, either. All I can figure is that it allows you to add a list of property names in case you need to edit them later.

I really appreciate your help, Lisa.
Eddie