Wild variation in Analyzer Statistics pane

This Forum is for General Issues about Analyzer
royj
Propeller Head

Wild variation in Analyzer Statistics pane

Post by royj »

I've been happily using Analyzer v2 for a few days now, and I've noticed something a bit disquieting in the Statistics pane. See the image below:

Why the wild variation in the Word Count and Segment Count columns? I'm not that fast a writer.
Last edited by royj on Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy Jacobsen
Writing, Clear and Simple
Fargo, ND
royj@writingclearandsimple.com
http://rmjacobsen.squarespace.com
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Wild variation in Analyzer Statistics pane

Post by RamonS »

Seems the image didn't make it into the post... :(
royj
Propeller Head

Post by royj »

It's there now.
Roy Jacobsen
Fargo, ND
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Post by Richard Ferrell »

Hi roy

Do you know if at any time you have going intot he Tools and Options and on the Analyzer tab you have disabled the Scan?
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
royj
Propeller Head

Post by royj »

Richard Ferrell wrote:Do you know if at any time you have going intot he Tools and Options and on the Analyzer tab you have disabled the Scan?
Not deliberately.
Roy Jacobsen
Fargo, ND
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Post by Richard Ferrell »

If you delete the analyzer folder and then rescan it, it should give the correct results.
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
DanAustin
Propeller Head

Post by DanAustin »

Richard Ferrell wrote:If you delete the analyzer folder and then rescan it, it should give the correct results.
I'm having a similar problem. Analyzer is telling me that I have 109 broken links in my project, but I've checked and they're NOT broken. The link that Analyzer shows as broken is not what the link is in the Flare project. I took the project home from work and tried it there and it works fine. I figured something is corrupted somewhere but don't know where to fix it. What do you mean by "delete the Analyzer folder"? Delete the program and reinstall it?

Dan
royj
Propeller Head

Post by royj »

DanAustin wrote:
Richard Ferrell wrote:If you delete the analyzer folder and then rescan it, it should give the correct results.
I'm having a similar problem. Analyzer is telling me that I have 109 broken links in my project, but I've checked and they're NOT broken. The link that Analyzer shows as broken is not what the link is in the Flare project. I took the project home from work and tried it there and it works fine. I figured something is corrupted somewhere but don't know where to fix it. What do you mean by "delete the Analyzer folder"? Delete the program and reinstall it?

Dan
Nope. In your project folder, there will be an Analyzer folder, along with your Content, Output (if that's where you send your output), and Project folders. That Analyzer folder contains the Analyzer database for the project; if you delete it, Analyzer will recreate it (hopefully without the corruption).

To bad we can't do the same thing with politicians.
Roy Jacobsen
Fargo, ND
DanAustin
Propeller Head

Post by DanAustin »

Well, that would make sense except that I don't have an Analyzer folder there. I'm using Analyzer v2 and Flare v4 if that has anything to do with it.

Would any of the folders in the screen grab be what I'm looking for? My project files are on my Z: drive, but these are all on the C: drive.

Dan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

DanAustin wrote:... I took the project home from work and tried it there and it works fine...
and
DanAustin wrote:... My project files are on my Z: drive, but these are all on the C: drive...
Dan

I could be wrong but I think the reason why you are getting a broken link report is because you created the link while at home and are running analyser at work (or vice versa) and Analyzer is tripping up on the drive mappings.

The analyzer folder is in your project's directory structure:
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
DanAustin
Propeller Head

Post by DanAustin »

Good theory, but no ... I didn't do any editing on the project at home, only checked to see if Analyzer showed the broken links there, and it did not.

Rob Hollinger from MadCap was able to clear up the issue for me. The Analyzer folder referred to earlier only resides in the project folder if the project folder is on a local drive, but mine is on a network drive. On XP, the Analyzer folder resides at C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\MadCap Software\Analyzer. On Vista, it is at C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\MadCap Software\Analyzer. Once I found that out and deleted it, the problem was solved.

Thanks all, especially Rob!

Dan