Upgraded to version 2, can no longer start Analyzer

This Forum is for General Issues about Analyzer
saanvik
Propeller Head

Upgraded to version 2, can no longer start Analyzer

Post by saanvik »

I was using Analyzer V1 with no problems, but then upgraded to V2, and now the program won't start. I've uploaded an attachment,
analyzerv2_startup_error.jpg
If it didn't work, here's the text of the dialog:
MadCap Analyzer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.
I probably screwed something up, but I don't know where or how.

I uninstalled both versions and tried a re-install, same error.

Any advice? My suspicion immediately turns towards a corrupt database, but I have no idea how to fix it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Upgraded to version 2, can no longer start Analyzer

Post by LTinker68 »

Did this occur on a project that you had created and run through Analyzer v1? If so, shut down Flare and Analyzer, delete the Analyzer folder in the root of the project folder, then restart Analyzer v2.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
saanvik
Propeller Head

Post by saanvik »

No, this happens when Analyzer starts up. I see the splash image, then this. No UI, no nothing.
saanvik
Propeller Head

Post by saanvik »

I got it to open by doing a search for every directory with the word Analyzer in it, either deleting the directory or renaming it, and then starting up again. That includes the Analyzer folder in my Application Data directory.

As a side-effect, I have to re-register, but that was no big deal.

Sadly, I then got hit by the other issue many people are reporting - nothing happens when I open a project - reinstalling SQL Server Express and SQL Server Compact solved that.

End of story - I think I'm good now.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Analyzer 2 uses a different database engine (SQL Compact) and thus cannot access the old V1 Analyzer folder content. The trick is to delete the Analyzer folder in the project and start from scratch. I think that could have been solved much better, but I guess that going forward things will remain the way they are and getting past this annoyance bump should do the trick.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

I think there was some mention on the download page for Analyzer 2, but not everyone's going to remember that caveat, especially if you're downloading other programs (v4, X-Edit, etc.) at the same time. Seems like Analyzer 2 could have at least done a comparison check to see if the files in the various Analyzer folders were created before Analyzer 2 was released and then either give a warning and ask for permission to delete the folders, or just delete them straight out.

Lisa
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

No, letting the application crash violently is way less work on the developer's end. Screw the customers! Who cares about user experience as long as things are convenient for developers. Stuff like that makes me want to slap the responsible developers with a wet noodle. :twisted:
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

RamonS wrote:Stuff like that makes me want to slap the responsible developers with a wet noodle. :twisted:
Cannelloni or lasagna? I'm guessing not angel hair. :P

Lisa