Moving to new computer

This forum is for all Flare issues related to getting started and installing the application.
dtmenges
Propeller Head

Moving to new computer

Post by dtmenges »

I'm going to move Flare 9.1 to a new computer in the next few days. Is it as simple as moving my project folders, deactivating my serial number on the old computer and activating the serial number on the new computer?

The present system is XP with only half the RAM (2gig), The new computer is Win 7 with 8 gig so I am looking for some improvement. At least I should be able to keep Photoshop and Flare open at the same time.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Moving to new computer

Post by LTinker68 »

On the old computer, open Flare and go to Help > Deactivate Product. That should release that key so you can re-register on the new PC. (The Flare license only allows it to be used on one computer in that domain.)

Before doing that, though, you might want to take some screenshots of various settings in Flare, because some things are saved to the registry, not in the project file. For example, the custom colors you may have saved, and as I just discovered, any font families you created. (I also recently moved from XP to 7.) Although you may not have to take screenshots; you can run Flare in the old computer in trial mode as you get the new PC set up, but if you're not going to have easy access to the PC, then screenshots will help.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
dtmenges
Propeller Head

Post by dtmenges »

Thanks for the tip on the font family. I would never have thought of that. Looks like tomorrow is change over day so I'll post any other issues.
dtmenges
Propeller Head

Post by dtmenges »

I've made the move and installed new fonts. However, when I try to build a PDF target I get the message that Ghostscript needs to be installed. I don't remember installing this before but I haven't done anything but upgrades since my original version 5. The version I installed was the last update that Madcap sent out, Version 9.1.1. I'm sure the answer is out there but haven't had enough time to look for it yet. Its amazing how much time you can loose to a brand new computer adding Windows updates.

The only other glitch I ran into was VSS but that was not a Flare issue. Our developers handle the VSS server so IT doesn't normally work with VSS. Once I installed it things were fine.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

dtmenges wrote:However, when I try to build a PDF target I get the message that Ghostscript needs to be installed.
Another post just mentioned Ghostscript in relation to using an equation. I've never used the equation feature and don't know its requirements, but if you have any equations, you might want to look in the help to see what you need on the new system to be able to support them.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
dtmenges
Propeller Head

Post by dtmenges »

I found Ghostscript on their site, downloaded it and installed it. The .eps images and .pdf generation is fine now.

Also had an issue with the itcc.dll not being registered when building a .chm. The error message tells how to register the .dll but the procedure is not the same for all versions of Windows. I followed the instructions for Windows 7 64-bit in the Knowledgebase and everything is fine. Leave it to Microsoft to make life difficult.

To recap my journey from Windows XP to Windows 7 computer.
1. Deactivated my license on the old computer.
2. Installed Flare on the new computer.
3. Activated the license on the new computer.
4. Downloaded and installed Ghostscript (.eps images would not preview and .pdf didn't generate).
5. Registered the itcc.dll for 64-bit computers (no search in .chm).
6. Installed Visual Source Safe.
7. Moved projects and fonts.

Thanks for the help. I'm going back to writing now!