Can you open multiple topics at once?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to getting started and installing the application.
rrabil
Propeller Head

Can you open multiple topics at once?

Post by rrabil »

Painfully dumb question ... is there a way from within the Content Explorer to open multiple topics at once, rather than clicking to open one at a time? I feel like I'm missing something incredibly obvious.

So far I've tried selecting multiple files using Shift + Click, and then double-clicking to open them, but this doesn't work. I've also tried clicking File > Open in the hopes of being able to use the same technique, but no luck.

Any solutions? It's possible this isn't working for me because I'm running Virtual PC on a Mac, and I'm using the wrong keyboard combinations or something.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Can you open multiple topics at once?

Post by RamonS »

I don't know of a way, but why do you want to open multiple topic files at the same time? You can only edit one file at a time.
rrabil
Propeller Head

Post by rrabil »

For the same reason as having multiple tabs in a browser open. It's nice to be able to quickly swap between multiple topics while you're editing one of them, so you can cross reference things.

Also, there are times when you have to make edits or add new content to many files. Why not open the 5-10 files you need to change all at once, rather than spending time double-clicking each individual one?
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

You can have as many topics open in tabs in the XML Editor as you want. You just have to open each topic one at a time. In other words, you don't have to close a topic in the Editor before you open another one. In my XML Editor, I leave the "What's New" topic in a tab, along with tabs for the Stylesheet Editor and the TOC Editor. The latter two are because I edit them often, the former so that I remember to update that topic prior to building. I'll open additional topics in additional tabs as I'm working. I leave those three tabs mentioned above open when I close the project, so the next time I open it, they're already in tabs.

The only thing you can't do is select multiple topics at once to have them open in multiple tabs, like you can select say 5 .docx files and have Word open 5 times with one file in each window. In Flare, you have to open one topic then open another topic then open another topic, etc., but each topic will be in its own tab.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
rrabil
Propeller Head

Post by rrabil »

Yeah, I keep multiple tabs open all the time. I was just hoping you can open a bunch at once the same way you can with Word docs (as you mentioned). Alas.

Thanks for your prompt responses. :)
phriend_o_phlair
Propeller Head

Post by phriend_o_phlair »

Thought I would add a bit here. I have about 300 topics I imported that I gotta edit. Nope, I can't find/replace for this. (ugh) I was researching this very point, and found myself simultaneously flummoxed, flabbergasted, and discombobulated. Here's my workaround... works well enough.
  1. Open a Flare project.
  2. Right click on folder containing files you wish to open:
    1.png
  3. You'll get the old Open Folder in Windows context option. Go for it!
    1111.png
  4. Multi-Select the files you (plan/desire/wish/hope/can't wait) to open. Drag them into the application. Into the... umm... work-doing area?
    11.png
  5. Tabs for days!
    111.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cruitbuck
Propeller Head

Post by cruitbuck »

rrabil wrote:Painfully dumb question ... is there a way from within the Content Explorer to open multiple topics at once, rather than clicking to open one at a time? I feel like I'm missing something incredibly obvious.

So far I've tried selecting multiple files using Shift + Click, and then double-clicking to open them, but this doesn't work. I've also tried clicking File > Open in the hopes of being able to use the same technique, but no luck.

Any solutions? It's possible this isn't working for me because I'm running Virtual PC on a Mac, and I'm using the wrong keyboard combinations or something.
YES. In Flare 12, select a group of files in the content explorer then drag and drop them into the xml workspace. :D
Buck the Tech Writer
===keep thinking===
Love :flare:
tekwrite55
Propeller Head

Post by tekwrite55 »

phriend_o_phlair wrote:Thought I would add a bit here. I have about 300 topics I imported that I gotta edit. Nope, I can't find/replace for this. (ugh) I was researching this very point, and found myself simultaneously flummoxed, flabbergasted, and discombobulated. Here's my workaround... works well enough.
  1. Open a Flare project.

Thanks for your solution! I wanted to see if my header1 was in place and this helped so much!
MattyQ
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by MattyQ »

I think one of the features that isn't very well known is the ability to select multiple files in the Content Explorer. Once you've selected those files, you can open them in the XML Editor using a method similar to the one phriend identified.

First, in the Content Explorer, click the Show Files button.
ChangeContentExplorer.png
Then, select the files you want to open (Ctrl+Click or Shift+Click), and drag them into the editor/primary pane/whatever you want to call it.
DragFiles.png
Note that if you already have a topic open, it's easier to drag the files onto the title bar of the editor (the gray bar of the pane in the previous image -- color may vary depending on UI settings and window focus).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
phriend_o_phlair
Propeller Head

Post by phriend_o_phlair »

Thanks for explaining that button, Matty! If it were a snake it would have, well you know... :D