Sending instant messages: how?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to getting started and installing the application.
Roza_MgX
Jr. Propeller Head

Sending instant messages: how?

Post by Roza_MgX »

Hi!

Me and my colleague are new to Flare. We're currently testing a trial version of the program, getting to know its workspace and features.

We've both enabled the instant messaging option, but we do not see each other's user names appearing under Users.
I thought we'd be able to see other users automatically, because we've added the project to source control (using Subversion). I can see that my colleague made changes to a file in the History view, so that aspect seems to be working fine.

Do we need to configure/add something else in order to be able to send each other instant messages?
Also, when we click "Show check-outs by other users" in the Pending check-ins window, nothing appears even though both of us have topics checked out.

(fyi: we're working with Flare V9, Windows 8 and Subversion 1.7.smthng)

Anyone have an idea on how to make these things work for us?

Thanks a lot!
Rene Severens
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Sending instant messages: how?

Post by Rene Severens »

Hi,

see topic in helpfile

Enabling and Disabling Instant Messaging

Greetings,
Rene Severens
"The numbers are strange today; they somehow do not seem to add up."
Roza_MgX
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Roza_MgX »

Hi!

Thanks for your reply!

I didn't really find anything in that topic. We already have instant messaging enabled in Flare. Is there some other configuration that needs to be done by an administrator on the Exchange Server? (cfr. the part about disabling instant messaging)
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

I'd be looking at your local firewall settings. Windows can stop this sort of application from running...
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
Roza_MgX
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Roza_MgX »

Hey SteveS,

Thanks for your reply! We'll look into our firewall settings.

Do you think the firewall is also what's stopping us from seeing each other's check-outs in the Pending check-ins window? The user name does not seem to be filled in there. I can see my own check-outs but under User, my user name is not listed...
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

We have a similar problem - some of us can see each other in IM and some of us can't. Madcap support just directed us to the help topic About Instant Messaging that just says "it works on a network". However, this obviously isn't the case given we are on the same network and sit near each other). My current thinking is that it is affected by sub-domains, and if you aren't on the same sub-domain, then it won't work. I asked for more technical detail but I have not received a response. (And haven't had time to follow it up - we just holler over the partition...)
ToddPh
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ToddPh »

Does anyone know if the Flare instant messaging is broadcast-based?

I don't know for sure, and could easily be wrong on this, but my guess is that the instant messaging feature is broadcast-based. If this is the case, most networks will limit or even block broadcast traffic, in which case, it would work if you were on the same network segment but fail if it goes farther than that. Also, you would have cases where it might work if all of the computers are on a hard-wired connection and fail when going between wired and wireless segments.

You may need to look into a server-based instant messenger client to gain the functionality if your network prevents broadcast.
Todd
When puns are outlawed, only outlaws will have puns.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

From what I recall, it is broadcast based and for that reason it can be turned off in Flare. It really is only useful when you have no other means of messaging. If you work in a Microsoft shop you should have Lync running already.
mwmartz
Propeller Head

Post by mwmartz »

We've recently installed Flare 2018 and would like to use the instant message function. Thus far, we are a two-person department. Both of us have enabled IM in our local instances of Flare, but we cannot see each other as users to be able to send messages. Do we need to have IT do something with our Exchange server to enable this capability? The only thing I see in Flare's help is how to disable IM on Exchange (https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... %20message).

By reverse deduction, it would seem that our IT person should be able to use the following process to enable the IM capability:
  • On your Exchange server, open the Active Directory.

Select the user or group for whom you want to limit instant messaging and open the properties.

Select the Exchange Advanced tab.

Click Custom Attributes.

Select an attribute and click Edit.

In the attribute field, enter either of the following.
    MadCap: Flare: im=on

This command enables instant messaging for Flare only. To enable instant messaging for other applications, change "Flare" to another application name.

MadCap: *: im=on

This command enables instant messaging in all MadCap products.

Click OK to exit out of all dialogs.
Can anyone confirm this or clarify? We're using GitLab as our source control. Does that have anything to do with making this work?
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

If you've only just purchased it and are still setting up, I suggest you contact your Madcap sales rep who might be able to help you, if you don't hear from the forums before then. Welcome to Flare, by the way.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
mwmartz
Propeller Head

Post by mwmartz »

ChoccieMuffin wrote:If you've only just purchased it and are still setting up, I suggest you contact your Madcap sales rep who might be able to help you, if you don't hear from the forums before then. Welcome to Flare, by the way.
Actually, we've been using Flare for years, but unfortunately, we have no maintenance plan to allow us to contact support. We just installed Flare 2018.
Madcap Guru
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Madcap Guru »

i am sure support will try to help you out if they can
Rick Ferrell

Former Flare and Robohelp Support