Can not install Flare 12

This forum is for all Flare issues related to getting started and installing the application.
t90fpe
Jr. Propeller Head

Can not install Flare 12

Post by t90fpe »

I am trying to install Flare 12 64 bit on a Windows 7 64 bit but installation process fails.

During the process, after I can change installation location and I click Install a screen with Overall Progress and Current Package is shown and there are four green dot indicating progress, the installation process ends with "Setup Cancelled The operation was cancelled. No changes have been made".

I've tried the media downloaded from the e-mail I got from MadCap and I've also downloaded the Flare 12 trial package from MadCaps Website.

Anyone else exeperienced this?
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Can not install Flare 12

Post by RamonS »

I have not experienced this issue, but can you try installing it to the designated default folder? I just wonder if changing the installation location makes a difference. I do assume that the alternate location is somewhere on your local drives where you have full read/write permissions to and you install using administrative permissions.
t90fpe
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by t90fpe »

Actually, I never changed the location, I use the default location suggested.

I do have Flare 11 (32 bit) installed on the same computer.
t90fpe
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by t90fpe »

I just want to let you all know I got this sorted out.

It was like a Windows Update thing. We have a common computer platform with lots of users (+10000 users) and updates are run from a centralized service/repository and we cannot choose when or what to update. I think the Windows Update process failed somehow and there was another unfinished installation preventing Flare 12 from being installed. The error message in Flare was not very descriptive but I suspected this and rebooted the computer and did not hook it up to our corporate network so the update service failed to connect and then the installation of Flare 12 was smooth!
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Great that you figured it out. That would have been difficult to detect from afar.
vola_newbie2
Propeller Head

Post by vola_newbie2 »

Thanks for your reply. I had exactly the same problem with 2017 r2.
I installed the last Windows updates and I disabled Windows Defender.
I eventually managed to run the setup.

@MadCap Team, I do not feel very at ease with the idea of disabling my AntiVirus just to install a new release of Flare ... :?
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

vola_newbie2 wrote:@MadCap Team, I do not feel very at ease with the idea of disabling my AntiVirus just to install a new release of Flare ... :?
It usually is not necessary. I encountered this only once, but it all depends on the AV engine installed and what the configuration is. It really is a problem of the AV vendor, not MadCap.
If you want to send feedback to MadCap you better use the official avenues. While some MadCap employees view the forum posts it is still a peer to peer forum.
nat
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by nat »

Hi, I had the same problem this week while trying to install Flare 2018 (Flare 14). In my case, Microsoft Update wasn't the issue.
Madcap Technical Support pointed me to this knowledge base article: http://kb.madcapsoftware.com/Content/Mi ... celled.htm
It worked for me! (run "repair" on Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable).
I thought this might help someone else with similar problems...

Cheers, Nat
devjoe
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by devjoe »

I've had this problem with the Flare 2021 releases. None of them will install for me. It always goes to Setup Cancelled before the progress bars show any progress.
A thing I noticed is that the Flare 2021 installers aren't signed. All the previous ones through 2020 r3 7685 were signed by MadCap.
joemecha
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by joemecha »

I had the same issue, my hunch is might have to do with windows updates this October 2021. I'm using Windows 10 20H2. Whats your windows version? Thanks!

The error log that shows up is related to B3.WPFKit.. and I think it has to do with this breaking change. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet ... ork-change

Hope this helps the madcap dev team.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

joemecha wrote:Hope this helps the madcap dev team.
These are peer-to-peer forums, and MadCap devs generally do not hang out here, at all. You'd be better off sending an email to MadCap with your thoughts, to help out their dev team. I'm sure they'd appreciate your generosity.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
devjoe
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by devjoe »

This issue seems to be resolved with Flare 2021 r3. This one is signed and installs without interruption on my computer.
Charles Peng
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Charles Peng »

I encountered this issue today when updating to Madcap Flare 2021 R3.

the root cause on my computer is:

Madcap Flare 2021 R3 is using Microsoft .net core SDK 3.1.100 (X64); however, the version installed on my computer is higher, then the installation process was terminated.

After removing higher version of Microsoft .net core SDK on my computer, Flare 2021 R3 was successfully installed.