Flare 9 Search results - how do i switch to the XML-editor

This forum is for all Flare issues related to getting started and installing the application.
Millesich
Jr. Propeller Head

Flare 9 Search results - how do i switch to the XML-editor

Post by Millesich »

Greetings,
with Flare 9 the XML-editor and the Text-editor are now two tabs - so no button for switching between them available.

But if use the search the results are only posted in the text-editor, the xml-editor tab itself is missing and CTRL+` doesn't work either.

Any idea?
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Flare 9 Search results - how do i switch to the XML-editor

Post by NorthEast »

Sorry, no idea, but I think I found another bug.

If I'm in Text Editor view, and start a search without ticking Find in source code, then the search doesn't find any search term whatsoever; whether the term is in the page text, or the HTML.

If I repeat exactly the same search in the XML Editor view or split view, then it works; it will highlight the term in the XML tab or Text tab, depending on whether I select Find in Source code.

Anyway, the search was originally designed for use with two separate editors, but it seems that when they updated the views they forgot to update the search functionality. The search was a bit unintuitive to begin with, but for v9 it could really do with a re-design.
techwriterkai
Propeller Head

Post by techwriterkai »

I've submitted a bug regarding the original question:
(Case 49313) Flare 9.1.1 Bug: Search results with Find in source code open topic in Text Editor w/o split-view editor bar

Cheers, Kai.
Documentation: Helping users look good and suck less.
sdcinvan
Propellus Maximus

Post by sdcinvan »

Is this still a problem?

I'm using Flare v10.2.1 and whenever I am using the side-bar search function, I lose the XML editor tab. In other words, I can only view topic content in text mode. The only way to bring back the XML view is to close the topic and re-open it from Content Explorer. This has been going on since Flare v9!
Shawn in Vancouver, Canada
Main tools used: Flare 11.x, InDesign, Google Docs, Lectora, Captivate.
Report bugs: https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback/bugs.aspx ▪ Feature requests: https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx[/i]
techwriterkai
Propeller Head

Post by techwriterkai »

This has been fixed. There is now a new icon ON TOP of the Text Editor that lets you switch to the XML Editor when you access a topic via the search result list.
Documentation: Helping users look good and suck less.
sdcinvan
Propellus Maximus

Post by sdcinvan »

techwriterkai wrote:This has been fixed. There is now a new icon ON TOP of the Text Editor that lets you switch to the XML Editor when you access a topic via the search result list.
Well, well... look at that. Sure enough there is something. When did that sneak into the interface?

BTW, the function is oddly disabled for some files, such as Snippets (.flsnp) but it works for the most important file types.

Thank you!
XML-TEXT_editor toggle.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shawn in Vancouver, Canada
Main tools used: Flare 11.x, InDesign, Google Docs, Lectora, Captivate.
Report bugs: https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback/bugs.aspx ▪ Feature requests: https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx[/i]