Activation issue

This forum is for all Flare issues related to getting started and installing the application.
jflow76
Jr. Propeller Head

Activation issue

Post by jflow76 »

Yesterday I upgraded from v9 to v10. The upgrade was successful, as was the activation. Today, however, it's asking me for my activation code again. I entered it, and it now says I've already used all of my activations and I can't open Flare. Has anyone else experienced this problem and been able to resolve it?
jflow76
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Activation issue

Post by jflow76 »

Support resolved this. Turns out that because my IT guy renamed my computer, it deactivated Flare. The activation is tied to the computer ID.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

jflow76 wrote:Support resolved this. Turns out that because my IT guy renamed my computer, it deactivated Flare. The activation is tied to the computer ID.
...amazing...
Would have thought an IT guy would have been a bit more careful renaming machines.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Actually, I'm surprised it's tied to the machine name. The MAC address would be better, since that stays the same even when the computer is renamed.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
fvila
Propeller Head

I have the same issue...

Post by fvila »

"Support resolved this. " > how?
Flare tells me my license is already activated. My machine has changed names. I can't go back to log in as the previous user. How can I erase the previous activation? Is there a file somewhere I can delete?
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

jflow, you'll need to contact MadCap tech support (email will do, but a phone call is quicker). They need to clear something on their activation servers, which still knows your machine by its old name. Once they clear that, you'll be able to reactivate. Whenever I've had this problem, they've cleared it up right away.

BTW, if you have other MadCap products, ask them to clear the activation for all of them, not just Flare.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!