Migrating to Flare v10 and using HTML 5 skin/template

This forum is for all Flare issues related to getting started and installing the application.
dcarson
Propeller Head

Migrating to Flare v10 and using HTML 5 skin/template

Post by dcarson »

We just updated to Madcap v10 from Madcap v7. One of the reasons we updated was to be able to produce online help output in HTML5. I downloaded some of the templates and skins from your web site, but I can’t find a document that describes how I can bring my existing content into a new Online and Print template with a Madcap Classic skin. Will you please point me to a resource for this task? Also, are there style sheets that correspond with the example templates or skins?
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Migrating to Flare v10 and using HTML 5 skin/template

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

You might want to contact your sales rep for personalised help with this. As you've just updated I suspect they'll be very happy to help you transfer.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Adding HTML5 output to your existing project might be much easier than you realize. I think that all you need to do is to add an HTML5 target and HTML5 skin. The skin will be Flare's default HTML5 skin, which you can then customize.

Alternatively, you could import the HTML5 skin from the project template into your existing project. Be sure to select the option that tells Flare to automatically import any files that are linked to the file you want to import; that way, if there are things like images that the skin needs, those will get imported too.

A word about Flare project templates in general: A Flare project template isn't something that one can "apply" to an existing project, the way that one might apply a Word template to a Word document or apply a RoboHelp topic template to one or more RoboHelp topics. A Flare template is just a starting point, a shortcut, for starting a new project.

HTH
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
dcarson
Propeller Head

Post by dcarson »

Thanks for the help, Nita. I guess I was expecting iHt to work the way that Word templates work, but I can see what you're talking about when I look at what was generated.

ChoccieMuffin, I asked for help, but we didn't get a support contract, apparently. I can use Nita's method to make it work the way I want it to, though, so thanks for the help.
Phill D
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Phill D »

We have both version 9 & 10 of flare on our machines, but are not yet ready to update to version 10. Somehow flare is defaulting to version 10 when opening documents, where can the default program be changed?