Moving Projects between Flare Upgrades

This forum is for all Flare issues related to getting started and installing the application.
deeptikorwar
Sr. Propeller Head

Moving Projects between Flare Upgrades

Post by deeptikorwar »

Hi,

I have upgraded to Flare 11 from Flare 10. Do I need to re-create all my previous Flare 10 projects in Flare 11 or just open then with Flare 11 and continue using them. I have also bound my Flare 10 projects to SVN.

Thanks,
Deepti
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Moving Projects between Flare Upgrades

Post by Nita Beck »

It is totally up to you. You can certainly just open a Flare 10 project in Flare 11 and go from there. I believe that Flare 10 and Flare 11 both comply with the same database structure for SVN (I think it's V1.8.x), so you can open the same project in either. (This is not always the case; sometimes an older version of Flare and a newer version of Flare are not compatible with the same SVN database version.)

My best practice is to ease into using a new version of Flare with a little bit of caution, just in case I encounter issues. Therefore, I have two working copies of the same SVN-bound project. Each one's folder identifies the version of Flare that I plan to use to edit it, something like "Project_F10" and Project_F11".

The trick is that if one simply double-clicks on a project's .flprj file, it's gonna launch the most recent version of Flare that is present on the machine. So if you decide to have a Flare 10 copy and a Flare 11 copy, and if you want to edit the Flare 10 copy, you'll need to first launch Flare 10 by itself and then navigate to and open the Flare 10 project.

Eventually, I switch over to using the newer version of Flare exclusively.

HTH
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

I'd create a backup of the project(s) before I started using the new version. Your source control should be able to do that for you. Basically a line in the sand...

You could also use the send to backups or zip project options to create your own backup. You can also copy the folders directly in Windows explorer (File Explorer in Win 8).

When you use a newer version it is likely to make changes that are not compatible with previous versions. Some of the updates have been massive, with no hope of a legacy version opening the converted or new content, others have been small changes.

This means if the worst happens, you can step back to using an earlier version of Flare with a known project. Of course, as time passes, stepping back becomes less attractive. I do this with all important documents, irrespective of the software. (I have multiple versions of several databases dating back to Office 95; I should delete them but they are so small by today's standards and storage is cheap).
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

I'd create a backup of the project(s) before I started using the new version. Your source control should be able to do that for you. Basically a line in the sand...

You could also use the send to backups or zip project options to create your own backup. You can also copy the folders directly in Windows explorer (File Explorer in Win 8).

When you use a newer version it is likely to make changes that are not compatible with previous versions. Some of the updates have been massive, with no hope of a legacy version opening the converted or new content, others have been small changes.

This means if the worst happens, you can step back to using an earlier version of Flare with a known project. Of course, as time passes, stepping back becomes less attractive. I do this with all important documents, irrespective of the software. (I have multiple versions of several databases dating back to Office 95; I should delete them but they are so small by today's standards and storage is cheap).
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.