How to add an Image as Header

This forum is for all Flare issues related to getting started and installing the application.
auriga
Propeller Head

How to add an Image as Header

Post by auriga »

Hi there,
could you please help me to understand how to add and edit a header?
I see a 'page header' button, but it asks me where to put the header:
-first page;
-even pages;
-odd pages;

but..what if I want the same header for all the pages but the first one (the doc will be a user guide)?
And how to add an image as header?

Sorry it if sounds dafty, but I'm a newbie :oops:

Thank you all!

A.
Kitsich
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: How to add an Image as Header

Post by Kitsich »

auriga wrote:Hi there,

And how to add an image as header?
A.
Once I had this same question and still have not figured out.
Practice makes perfect - idiom examples. The knowledge on Wikipedia, Yanglish that teach us to be wiser.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Please give us a little more information, specifically whether you're working in a page layout or in a master page? Also, what kind of output are you trying to create, print or online?

BTW, you do not sound dafty (daffy here in the U.S.) whatsoever. We were all Flare newbies once.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
auriga
Propeller Head

Post by auriga »

Nita,

I'm working on the Page layout, to be precise, on the Default one:
I'd like my header to have: an Image on the left, a sentence in the middle and num of pages on the right.

Through 'New image frame' I placed my image top left, then through 'New header frame mode' I set a text+number of pages (I could just place one next to the other); so I got somehow the latter two. As for the image, once built the target (I set Word output type) I see no image but the sentence+pages.

Many thanks

A.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but according to the Flare 11 Help, "New Image Frame' is not supported for Word output: http://webhelp.madcapsoftware.com/flare ... ge%20frame

But, alternatively to the "New Image Frame," you can insert images within header and footer frames, as discussed here: http://webhelp.madcapsoftware.com/flare ... Frames.htm

For my own headers and footers needed for Word output, I use a borderless table of a single row with 2 or 3 columns. I then put what I want to appear in the different columns, and I can align the content in each column separately (as in, left, center, and right).
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
ElaineB
Propeller Head

Post by ElaineB »

Nita,

How do you get an image to "fill" an entire table row in Word without having to resize it manually once you've done your Word target output?

We have a table of 2 rows, 1 column. The view looks fine in Flare and Flare preview, but once it goes into Word output, the top row is still correct but the bottom table row with the image has it narrowed on the sides so that it looks smaller and like the 2 rows are not the same width. I have manually changed the width but it still does not work. I am making sure there is no padding or indents on the image, and I'm making the image the same size as the table width. Still no luck.

Help????

Elaine
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Elaine, I'm sorry, but I have no idea how to accomplish what you're after. I produce bare-bones Word docs out of Flare (using them only for review drafts). Does the image have to go within a table in the header? Can you just have it inline in a paragraph beneath the table?
Nita
skwpt
Propeller Head

Post by skwpt »

Consider signing up for this free webinar (you'll get access to the link for the video almost instanly from Madcap Software):

Master Pages and Page Layouts.

I took it a while ago, but I think he went over using images in borderless tables in headers. The print layout is in the second half hour if you want to skip right to it.

I am working on setting up print layout now, so if I find other webinars that have the info you're looking for, I will link to them.