How to add a first/cover page in Empty template

This forum is for all Flare issues related to getting started and installing the application.
auriga
Propeller Head

How to add a first/cover page in Empty template

Post by auriga »

Hi!

I created a sort of user guide starting from an empty template. I'd like to add a first/cover page, the same listed if you choose 'Book' template: for that, in the Content Explorer, there's a 'Frontmatter' file including 'preface' and 'title' topics.
Cattura.JPG
I tried to copy the file from Book template to my Empty template but once saved all and built the target, I didn't see title and preface pages..my doc started straight with the Index..

Which steps am I missing?
Secondly, is there a way to give the fist page another kind of formatting (e.g.: no header, no footer)?

Thank you all
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
emsachs
Propeller Head

Re: How to add a first/cover page in Empty template

Post by emsachs »

Flare has a lot of moving parts, and so it is natural to be confused when you start out. I actually printed out several of the Flare manuals and put them in binders when I first started out, because that was the only way I personally could get my head around the product.

To make output you need these three things:
Topic files - which are the content you want (you have these)
A target - you have that, or you wouldn't be able to build
A TOC - this lists the content files you actually want in your output, in the order and hierarchy you want them.

You need to add your Preface and Title topics to your TOC.

To open the TOC go to the Project Tab/men, and select Master TOC. You can add topics by dragging them from the Content Explorer into the TOC. So you can drag Preface.htm and Title.htm into the TOC. There are a number of tools to move topics around and promote them in the TOC interface.

You can also do this with your various topic files for your actual content. That should take care of getting all the actual content to show up.

Now, to control presentation of the content, you need some more pieces. You are trying to create print output, so you need to use page layouts to control the look of individual files.

Page Layouts live in the Content/Resources/PageLayouts folder. You already have one - it is controlling the headers and footers you are using. If you have only one, you can copy and paste it in the folder to make another page layout. You can then rename your new page layout, for example TitleLayout or NoHeaderLayout (you may want 2, because you can do fancier stuff with the title then), and then double click to open it. This will give you yet another kind of editor where you can select things (in this case the header and footer) and delete them. You will need to look at the documentation to learn how to edit page layouts, it's not always obvious. In addition, each layout can have multiple pages inside it, for even pages, odd pages, first page, etc. You need to set all of those up the way you want.

After you have your page layout, you still have to hook it up to your topic. You do this back in the TOC. For example, suppose you have made a NoHeaderLayout, and you want to apply it to your Title and Preface. Suppose your Toc looks like this:

Title
Preface
Topic1
Topic11
Topic12
Topic2
Topic21
Topic22

You need to double-click on the Title in the TOC, then on the Prineted Output tab, you need to set
Break Type: Chapter Break
Page Layout: NoHeaderLayout
Page Type: Right (or First, if you have set a First up, or some other page you have created inside your page layout)
Save and close

Then double-click Topic1, and set
Break Type: Chapter Break
Page Layout (Name of Default Layout)
Page Type: Right or First
Page Number: If you want to start this on one, you can select that now.
Then go to auto-numbering tab and set it to restart at one, so your chpater numbers work.
Click Ok, close out of there.

Double click Topic2, set Break Type, Page Layout, and Page Type the same as for Topic2. Make sure autonumbering is set to continue.

And read the documentation. We write it, we should consume it!
auriga
Propeller Head

Post by auriga »

Hi emsachs,

your post has been precious like water in the desert :wink: thank you.
I worked some issues out, but others came up...

Once built the target (I set Word output type):
1) TOC page comes in the very first position, then there's the 'first page'..and I'd want right the opposite;
2) 'Default' pagelayout has been applied to the TOC page too. But where physically put hands on what will be the TOC page? Why does it take default formatting?;
3) I see 'Default' pagelayout just for odd pages, the other pages are blank (just like the 'First page' pagelayout).

I'm sure I'll see the light at the end of the tunnel, soon.... :oops:

Again, grazie!
A.
devans
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by devans »

I don't know if this is relevant to what you are doing, but I found that when I put an image in my title page layout, that image appears when your output is PDF but not when your output is Word. And from my investigation, that's just the way it is with Word output!
dorcutt
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by dorcutt »

Sorry I can't address the page layout issues, but regarding the images in Word output, Nita posted some useful info on the subject yesterday.
-Dan, Propellerhead-in-training
auriga
Propeller Head

Post by auriga »

auriga wrote: 1) TOC page comes in the very first position, then there's the 'first page'..and I'd want right the opposite;
2) 'Default' pagelayout has been applied to the TOC page too. But where physically put hands on what will be the TOC page? Why does it take default formatting?;
3) I see 'Default' pagelayout just for odd pages, the other pages are blank (just like the 'First page' pagelayout).
I found out how to manage 1) and 2) so far, but I'm still having trouble with paging visible in odd pages only (Word output type).

Thank you

A.