Updating Flare in an SCCM environment

This forum is for all Flare issues related to getting started and installing the application.
AlanKearns
Sr. Propeller Head

Updating Flare in an SCCM environment

Post by AlanKearns »

My copy of Flare has started prompting me to download v11.1.0.

I am reluctant to OK this because I'm not clear whether it will:

a) Attempt to update my version directly (which will fail and possibly cause an error condition, because Microsoft SCCM controls all installations across our network, and I don't have Admin rights on my PC)

b) Simply download an msi file which I can forward to the sysadmin

What's the best way to respond to these prompts, when you don't have control of your workstation?

I think an alternative of hosting updates on Madcap's support site would be good, so users could refer support engineers to them. I imagine that a large proportion of Flare users work in a similar setup to me...
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Updating Flare in an SCCM environment

Post by RamonS »

You can go ahead and download the update assuming you have sufficient rights to it (if you do not get admin rights I'd assume that you cannot download executables either). In any case, the download is a self-extracting archive that yields an msi file. You can download the file and then pass it on to IT, they can either install it using the default process on your PC or extract the msi file and push it through.
AlanKearns
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by AlanKearns »

I'm sure that the support people could take this msi file off me and get it installed, but I still don't feel confident to go ahead with 'Download Updates', because I don't know whether doing so will:

a) Automatically try to save the msi to a temporary folder then run it, without giving me the chance to bypass the install. This will undoubtedly fail either to save or execute fully, with the risk that it causes problems with my installation and/or leaves me without a usable msi and gets me in the bad books of Support.
b) prompt me for a location for the msi, save it there and do nothing else

and I suspect it's a) especially because it recommends I exit Flare first. To me, that implies it will go ahead and try to install.

I suppose what I need is a route where I can be sure b) would happen.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

It will not automatically install it. All that happens is that the default browser opens to the download, after that it depends on how the browser is configured as to where the file gets stored.
AlanKearns
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by AlanKearns »

Thanks! That'll make life easier - last time Support went to Madcap to get the msi.